• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Apple tree leaves

luna

Mama Doe
Are both the leaves and the twigs safe for bunnies to eat? They are organic :)

ena6e4uv.jpg

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Spenser really enjoys apple leaves and twigs. As long as you know the tree has not been sprayed with pesticide they are fine. I don't have a tree but have a friend who does, and I also buy from Fluffers on here.

You should introduce them gradually, as with all new foods, but if you have a big batch just now the leaves dry well for nommings at a later date.

Spenser really enjoys apple leaves and twigs. As long as you know the tree has not been sprayed with pesticide they are fine. I don't have a tree but have a friend who does, and I also buy from Fluffers on here.

You should introduce them gradually, as with all new foods, but if you have a big batch just now the leaves dry well for nommings at a later date.

Great thanks for that :) silly question but how do I dry them /store them etc?

Great thanks for that :) silly question but how do I dry them /store them etc?

I just lay them out in a large cardboard box to dry. Spenser enjoys them either fresh, half-dry or dry. Bunny crisps! :thumb:

I just lay them out in a large cardboard box to dry. Spenser enjoys them either fresh, half-dry or dry. Bunny crisps! :thumb:

Oh ok ...that actually sounds pretty straight forward. Here was me thinking I would have to put them in been the pages of books.

Should I take them off the twigs for the drying process or leave them as is?

Oh and one last question... approximately how long does it take?

Oh ok ...that actually sounds pretty straight forward. Here was me thinking I would have to put them in been the pages of books.

Should I take them off the twigs for the drying process or leave them as is?

Oh and one last question... approximately how long does it take?

In this weather they will not take long to dry. Spenser had some arrive on Friday or Saturday, and the leaves are crisping up nicely. I tend to pull some of the leaves off and dry separately, but leave some on the twigs so that Spenser can have a double feast and different textures in one nomming session. Leaves dried separately can be sprinkled on or through hay to encourage foraging.

You could tie the twigs up in bunches (with string or wire) and hang them somewhere dry and airy eg a shed, airing cupboard, porch - just leave them for a week or two to dry, then store them in cardboard boxes or paper bags. Cereal boxes will do, or bigger delivery type boxes if you have lots. I re-use paper potato sacks from Lidl or thick paper carrier bags. As long as they are dry, they will keep for months. Check them periodically just to make sure they are still OK. Mine usually keep until the following year's crop.

Willow, blackcurrant and bramble are also good to dry at the moment.

In this weather they will not take long to dry. Spenser had some arrive on Friday or Saturday, and the leaves are crisping up nicely. I tend to pull some of the leaves off and dry separately, but leave some on the twigs so that Spenser can have a double feast and different textures in one nomming session. Leaves dried separately can be sprinkled on or through hay to encourage foraging.

Thanks so much for the tips. I have them all in bunches hanging from the blinds in the living room. The neighbours will think I have very bizarre decor tastes. It's a good spot though with the window open, a nice breeze and the sun shining through :)

You could tie the twigs up in bunches (with string or wire) and hang them somewhere dry and airy eg a shed, airing cupboard, porch - just leave them for a week or two to dry, then store them in cardboard boxes or paper bags. Cereal boxes will do, or bigger delivery type boxes if you have lots. I re-use paper potato sacks from Lidl or thick paper carrier bags. As long as they are dry, they will keep for months. Check them periodically just to make sure they are still OK. Mine usually keep until the following year's crop.

Willow, blackcurrant and bramble are also good to dry at the moment.

Wow thanks so much for all the advice. I'm going to bookmark this :)

I hung the apple twigs with leaves at the living room window. It must look very bizarre from the outside ,like I practice witch craft or something . Lol :)

Last edited:
Once they are dried (is that when all the leaves have gone brown? I honestly have no idea as I've never done it before) how long do they keep for?

Once they are dried (is that when all the leaves have gone brown? I honestly have no idea as I've never done it before) how long do they keep for?

I'm not completely sure either but I would imagine they turn brown.once dry they keep for a long time ... like up to a year I think. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will come along to correct me xx

Back