• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

after vets fighting HELP!!

adamguk

New Kit
Hey all. My buns (boy and girl) have always got on like a house on fire. Share a double/triple imdoor cage together with no problems. Took them in for their annual injections together, and daisy (the problem bun) had ear wax so needed ear drops and ever since has taken to beating bella (male bun) up the poor thing and hes constantly running away when theyre out of the cage any ideas? Thanks guys! Adam

I am assuming both bunnies are neutered. I would rebond them in a neutral area as it seems like Daisy has become territorial maybe, either that or she doesn't feel well. Or it could be that Bella has a weakness of some sort and Daisy is bullying him.

Ear problems can frequently cause behavioural changes. Did the Vet say if the ears are infected ? What ear drops were you given ?

Ear problems are at best uncomfortable and they can actually be very painful. That combined with the fact that having ear drops put in not only adds to the discomfort, initially at least, but it also means companions start to pay a lot of attention to the other Rabbit's ears. This often does not please the other Rabbit. Having her ears messed with when they are sore is bound to make her tell her companion off.

You may actually need to keep them apart until Daisy's treatment has finished and then re-introduce them in a neutral area. Otherwise continued bickering could result in a full on fight and should that happen the chances of a happy reunion are significantly reduced.

Having had a lot of dealings with Ear problems in Rabbits I now know never to under-estimate what an impact they can have on every aspect of the Rabbit's life and that of any Rabbit(s) they live with.

Cheers for the replies! The vet said it was like a waxy buildup which can lead to ear mites don't think she said they were infected. The ear drops are Canaural, although for dogs and cats she said they were fine for rabbits.when we first noticed the aggression it was because there was a lot of fur all over the cage indicating they had had a fight of some sort when we weren't there. And ever since every time bella goes near daisy starts getting edgy and chases him. Do you think she could just be stressed about the drops? As obviously she isn't at all impressed when we put them in.. thanks. Adam

He might be bugging her trying to clean around her ears after the drops and she doesn't like it - just a thought.

If it's immediately after the treatment, it might help to separate them for half an hour after doing the drops. It could be she's sore or even just taking her frustrating out and getting pinned down and treated on him.

Its all the time, he keeps running away from her and she does not like him going downstairs in the cage where she has been lying. Very strange. The vet wants to see her again this week anyway so will have to see how it is then:)

Do the bunnies have time out of their cage, as being restricted to an indoor cage could be stressful hence the bickering.

I have taken a few rabbits off people who have kept them in indoor cages and they are all quite aggressive. There isn't enough privacy in these types of cages, they are too open for the bunnies to feel safe enough in. An enclosure is much better where you can give the rabbits a tube or box to hide in if they want to. You can also put a litter tray into an enclosure filled with hay. This gives the bunnies something to do close to how they would behave in the wild, ie grazing.

The indoor cages that you can buy at pet shops are not suitable for rabbits unless the rabbits spend a fair bit of time out of it in which case an enclosure would be far better.

Back