• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D as to why Buster, Paddington, Pippa and Marmalade died.

Me either but then there are two sides to every story and we are only getting one

So very glad that someone else has pointed this out. Please remember that you do not 'know' a person by reading their posts on an Internet forum. No offence intended to the poster, but it is very important to keep this fact in mind.

This is so horrific :( It must be horrible enough to lose 1 pet to something like this, but 4... there's no words:(

I actually have no trouble believing the charity is so ignorant/neglectful. I've heard of a few similar stories on other forums where peoples pets are unfairly taken and then neglected at wherever they're being held. Not every charity knows the needs of every species of animal, especially when dealing with special needs pets. I think it's important to remember that as well. You can't blindly trust police or charities or inspectors. The majority are good but you just never know.

So very glad that someone else has pointed this out. Please remember that you do not 'know' a person by reading their posts on an Internet forum. No offence intended to the poster, but it is very important to keep this fact in mind.

No, that's true and I accept that I did make up my mind without hearing the second side to the story :wave: I just can't see how they could justify what they did. Nor can I see us ever getting the other side to the story!

Last edited:
This is so horrific :( It must be horrible enough to lose 1 pet to something like this, but 4... there's no words:(

I actually have no trouble believing the charity is so ignorant/neglectful. I've heard of a few similar stories on other forums where peoples pets are unfairly taken and then neglected at wherever they're being held. Not every charity knows the needs of every species of animal, especially when dealing with special needs pets. I think it's important to remember that as well. You can't blindly trust police or charities or inspectors. The majority are good but you just never know.

Yes but this is my point people who are in the wrong aren't going to put their hands up and say yes sorry I did wrong. I too have seen several of these stories but reading things on an internet forum doesn't make them true

It is very difficult for the rspca to obtain the paperwork to remove an animal. It has to go through the legal system which requires substantial evidence

Me either but then there are two sides to every story and we are only getting one

That's very true, and I always used to assume that something must have prompted the action taken in stories that I heard about as well, but now I'm not so sure.

Sometimes actions speak louder than words though, and so maybe you should consider why the case was dropped so suddenly, with no further action to be taken, and my rabbits returned immediately. That was highly unlikely to have been the case if I had indeed been guilty of any wrong doing involving my buns.

Once I had found out that the Inspector had had no legal power to seize my rabbits, wasn't it then strange to receive a phone call from the Head Office advising me that I was mistaken, and it was the Police who had seized them, because they do have that right. As the Police rightly pointed out though, if that had of been the case, then I would have had paper work from them and not the .....

Anyway, that isn't the actual point of this thread, it's just to make people aware that this particular charity do not have any legal right of entry, and they certainly have no legal power to force you into letting them take your pets, and that is what I am trying to get across, because if I had known that, then I would have stood my ground and refused to let her take them.

No, that's true and I accept that I did make up my mind without hearing the second side to the story :wave: I just can't see how they could justify what they did. Nor can I see us ever getting the other side to the story!

That is why they had to make up all the lies though in an attempt to justify what they did. I have been approached by a number of organisations to go public with what has happened to me, and so please bear in mind that for me to do that, and falsely lie about what happened, would actually be a criminal act which could result in a custodial sentence.

What went so very wrong in my particular case was that the ..... found themselves in a very difficult situation, after being informed that one of their Inspectors had unlawfully seized my rabbits, believing myself to have been responsible for the acts of cruelty the rabbits had obviously suffered, and not gaining the information that they should have done first, and coming back to discuss each rabbit with me 4 days later, when they had already put them to sleep. Surely anyone reading this thread can understand why the information should have been obtained first, not once they were already dead.

Ironically, 3 of my 'special needs' buns were ..... buns, for which I had had home checks done, provided references, and a reference from my vet, and yet these buns thankfully have now been returned to me. Do you honestly think that that would have happened had there been any question at all of my not looking after them properly.

One of the other things that upset me greatly, was knowing how Scooter was suffering and in pain, because him being taken, prevented him from having much needed already pre-arranged surgery to amputate his near side hind leg. Over a 7 week period, I emailed the Chief Executive of the ...... the head of the legal department, and anyone else who I thought may be able to help, begging and pleading with them to let me have Scooter back so that he could have his surgery, and yes, not that I am proud of it, but when being decent and polite, fell on deaf ears, I admit to then advising them of my intentions to go to the press, my MP, anyone who may have been able to help, because I was so desperate to get Scooter released and the surgery he needed.

Instead of that though, this particular charity who is supposed to work tirelessly and endlessly to end the suffering and cruelty to animals, kept Scooter suffering and in pain for 7 weeks!! I even pleaded with them to be able to have a vet go out to him, to at least get him some pain relief, and keep him comfortable, and this was also denied. So, who was really causing his suffering then, and it certainly wasn't me, because he wasn't even in my care.

Before people are so quick to judge myself, just bear in mind that all of what I have said can be supported by others and most importantly by my vet.

Just as an example, although not quite how I had wanted this thread to go, Pippa was apparently put to sleep because she had 'multiple skin issues'. However, the following morning after the rabbits had been seized, they were all inspected by an ..... vet at one of the rehoming centres, but he noted nothing about any skin issues. Following legal advice an independent vet examined the rabbits the following Monday. He was a vet based in York, but as luck would have it, was in Birmingham attending a conference, and once this had finished, he duly inspected my rabbits, but again, no mention of any skin issues. My vet confirmed that Pippa was registered with him, and he had seen her on 3 occasions in the 11 months I had had her, but not for any skin problems.

Pippa was an extremely aggressive little madam, and although she was the prettiest, daintiest little Dutch bunny ever, everyone was terrified of Pippa when she was free-ranging at home. Pippa and myself understood each other though, and I soon realised after a few nasty bites to myself, that Pippa only really attacked when she felt threatened, and to be fair she was relentless in how she went for you. but I adored Pippa, and our cuddles when her beautiful big brown eyes couldn't stay open any longer were just the best ever, and her beautiful soft fur, how she actually demanded fuss and cuddles in the early hours, and would dig for however long it took to keep me awake, so that eventually I would then go and get her and take her back into bed with me, where she would lay in the crook of my arm, even though it must have been hot for her, because it certainly was for me.

So no, I can't prove it, but I think it is a fair assumption to make as to how Pippa reacted when she was seized and taken to the rehoming centre, but I can certainly prove that she didn't suffer from any skin issues, and 2 other vets had also just seen her, and so I personally think Pippa was put to sleep because of her aggression and behavioural problems. Which then should alert people to another totally shocking action on this charity's part, and that being, that she wasn't even their rabbit to put to sleep!!

I'm so sorry for your losses. I for one have read every word and if the circumstances ever arise I will 100% be questioning the legal right to take any animals before it happens.

Thank you, that means a lot to me, and is the whole point of my revealing what has happened.

Yes but this is my point people who are in the wrong aren't going to put their hands up and say yes sorry I did wrong. I too have seen several of these stories but reading things on an internet forum doesn't make them true

It is very difficult for the rspca to obtain the paperwork to remove an animal. It has to go through the legal system which requires substantial evidence

But then wouldn't it be more plausible for people that had done wrong to say nothing, and if that was the case, how likely was it then for no further action to be taken, and my rabbits returned to me. Surely, that in itself says an awful lot more than words can.

Actually, it isn't difficult at all for them to obtain paperwork to remove an animal, as they can either apply for a warrant which can be issued in a matter of hours, or request the Police to seize the animal, neither require substantial evidence, as that is what they are looking to obtain in order to bring the case to court, but not what is needed to remove an animal.

Last edited:
But then wouldn't it be more plausible for people that had done wrong to say nothing, and if that was the case, how likely was it then for no further action to be taken, and my rabbits returned to me. Surely, that in itself says an awful lot more than words can.

Actually, it isn't difficult at all for them to obtain paperwork to remove an animal, as they can either apply for a warrant which can be issued in a matter of hours, or request the Police to seize the animal, neither require substantial evidence, as that is what they are looking to obtain in order to bring the case to court, but not what is needed to remove an animal.

Yes exactly and that's not a simple process. I appreciate you are saying that the purpose of this thread is to make people aware I am just saying that we only have your version of events and that just because of you post on here doesn't mean people should unquestionably believe your version

I've just finished a night shift so I am literally stunned and completely unable to take in what has happened to you and your darling buns. Will have to come back when I've had a rest. :(

Irrespective of the circumstances, I'm so sorry you lost so many of your precious bunnies :cry:. Sweet dreams little ones xx.

Thank you, that means a lot to me, and is the whole point of my revealing what has happened.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you and your precious little ones :cry:.

Thank you for warning others to the legal requirements for removing pets. I, and others on the forum, have special needs buns, and you never know when somebody is going to come to their own conclusions over the condition of the bun.

I really hope you can at least get some answers as to why it all happened. No matter what the other side of the story is, you deserve answers.

I am so sorry you have lost Buster, Paddington, Pippa and Marmalade in such traumatic and avoidable circumstances, My thought are with you at this most difficult time, It is bad enough to loose those that we love to illness but to have them taken from us by others is tragic.

Sending you love and light to help you through these most difficult times.

Paul

This whole thing just sounds very traumatic and distressing for you and your furries, regardless of what actually happened :( it has certainly made me more aware though.

Binky free, little ones xx

Last edited:
Yes exactly and that's not a simple process. I appreciate you are saying that the purpose of this thread is to make people aware I am just saying that we only have your version of events and that just because of you post on here doesn't mean people should unquestionably believe your version

Of course not, but I would just like to think that god forbid someone else finds themselves in a similar situation, that they will recall this thread and do what I did not know to do, which is stand their ground and refuse to let their rabbits be taken.

I understand that you are not willing to believe me, but that with what has happened is really of little concern to me, as others will correctly interpret that as I haven't been prosecuted and no further action has been taken whatsoever, and my rabbits returned to me, that it is highly unlikely I am not telling the truth.

I have also struggled greatly to make any kind of sense to all of this, and still can't really, but things that I have now discovered have certainly caused me to now questioned whether this charity's main concern is for animal welfare. Do you know that last year £120 million was spent on prosecuting people :shock: I am well aware of all the horrific acts of cruelty to animals, and how these people should be prosecuted, but these are criminal crimes and that is what we have the Police and CPS for. That would have then freed up all that money, donated by people believing it would be used to promote animal welfare, to do just that and care for the animals already in their care, replace old buildings that kind of thing, even build new centers, and maybe then 350,000 or thereabouts healthy, rehomeable animals may well have not been put to sleep, because the centers are often full to maximum capacity, and there was simply no where for them to go.

To me, spending ridiculous amounts of money doing something that the Police and CPS can do at no cost to the charity, because it is their job, and what they are paid for, is not bettering the lives of the animals in their care, or promoting animal welfare. Vast amounts of animals are put to sleep because they require expensive veterinary treatment, that often individual branches do not have the funds for, so how about using that money to top up their funds and give especially young animals a 2nd chance. Would that not be putting the money to better use?

You see, I had no idea that all this went on until I found myself in this devastating situation, and sadly I think the majority of people don't.

However, it is certainly not all bad, and as I have already said, 3 of my 'special' buns came from this charity, and the branches Macclesfield and Greater Manchester, really exceeded what people probably in general would expect, to rehabilitate and give these buns every single possible chance at finding their 'forever' home, and the love they had previously not been shown. I just wish that it was standard practice for ALL branches, and it has now made me question as to whether more good can be done by supporting other charities that will use money donated FOR the animals in their care, and if necessary provide a permanent home for those that for whatever reason cannot be re-homed.

I am so sorry you have lost Buster, Paddington, Pippa and Marmalade in such traumatic and avoidable circumstances, My thought are with you at this most difficult time, It is bad enough to loose those that we love to illness but to have them taken from us by others is tragic.

Sending you love and light to help you through these most difficult times.

Paul

Thank you Paul, and I guess it is a bit of a warning as well to people like myself who have a real passion for 'special needs' bunnies, to maybe try and be more aware, that others seeing them may not have any knowledge at all of rabbits, let alone 'special needs' ones, and may jump to their own totally inaccurate assumptions as to what is going on with them.

It does make me feel sad, that previously whenever anyone came to my house, I loved introducing them to my buns, and no doubt almost bored them to death with their life stories, but I don't at the moment feel able to do that for obvious reasons, and don't even really want to open my door at all now.

Back