• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to start feeding fresh greens??

Alibunbun

Warren Scout
I was under the impression it was okay to start introducing small amounts of fresh greens at 12 weeks old, but was informed today that you shouldn't start feeding them until 6 months?! :shock: that doesn't sound right to me, but thought I'd ask trusty RUers their thoughts to set me straight! Thank you in advance! :)

I've always understood that if mum was eating greens whilst she was lactating, then it's fine for babies to eat greens. Otherwise it's best to wean them onto their greens starting with very small amounts once they're okay with eating their hay and pellets. Dany and Peach ate greens from 8 weeks old with no problems.

I'm sure one of the experts on here will be able to confirm/correct this :thumb:

Yes, as soon as they start nibbling if their mum has been eating them. Otherwise, I'd give them a couple of weeks to settle in after moving home and then introduce slowly. You just don't want to mix the stress of moving home with a change in diet too.

I was under the impression it was okay to start introducing small amounts of fresh greens at 12 weeks old, but was informed today that you shouldn't start feeding them until 6 months?! :shock: that doesn't sound right to me, but thought I'd ask trusty RUers their thoughts to set me straight! Thank you in advance! :)

I've heard this being advised before but it just doesn't make sense as a rabbits true diet is grass, weeds, etc. I think they are just being overly careful.
Obviously as others have said you should allow them to settle in for a couple of weeks and then start to change their diets with new pellets and greens.

My bunnies were all babies when I got them and I slowly changing over their pellet food over a couple of weeks, left it for another week to ensure the new pellets hadn't upset them and then started to slowly introduce the greens.

I started with small amounts every other day, like a dandelion leaf, a piece of parsley, a slice of broccoli and slowly built up the amounts until they were roughly getting a few handfuls of fresh veg every day. Sweeter 'greens' or treat foods like carrot, apple, strawberries are still only given as an occasional treat.
By introducing slowly you also find the amount that works best for your rabbit. George and Harry can eat loads of veg but I have to watch how much Hershel gets as he will have excess cecals.

I've heard this being advised before but it just doesn't make sense as a rabbits true diet is grass, weeds, etc. I think they are just being overly careful.
Obviously as others have said you should allow them to settle in for a couple of weeks and then start to change their diets with new pellets and greens.

My bunnies were all babies when I got them and I slowly changing over their pellet food over a couple of weeks, left it for another week to ensure the new pellets hadn't upset them and then started to slowly introduce the greens.

I started with small amounts every other day, like a dandelion leaf, a piece of parsley, a slice of broccoli and slowly built up the amounts until they were roughly getting a few handfuls of fresh veg every day. Sweeter 'greens' or treat foods like carrot, apple, strawberries are still only given as an occasional treat.
By introducing slowly you also find the amount that works best for your rabbit. George and Harry can eat loads of veg but I have to watch how much Hershel gets as he will have excess cecals.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a long post! I'll be sure to be very gradual in my introductions, seen as she is such a tiny bean anyway :love: I won't start until a few more weeks either. I've got to move her onto the excel nuggets I've got and off these horrid ones she's on :/

Probably a stupid question :roll: But does grass count as fresh greens? I'm not 100% sure but I think Indi has been allowed on grass before..

You treat it as you would fresh greens when introducing i.e. do it slowly. It counts towards the hay portion of the diet though :)

You treat it as you would fresh greens when introducing i.e. do it slowly. It counts towards the hay portion of the diet though :)

Thanks Tamsin! So do I wait a few weeks before introducing or is it okay to start now, seen as it's part of the hay diet? :wave:

Treat it as you would fresh greens for now, so if she's not on greens yet I'd wait until you feel she's ready for them. It's just long term you can feed lots of grass in addition to fresh greens - sorry for being confusing :)

Treat it as you would fresh greens for now, so if she's not on greens yet I'd wait until you feel she's ready for them. It's just long term you can feed lots of grass in addition to fresh greens - sorry for being confusing :)

Okay thank you will do :) And no, not at all! It wasn't confusing :thumb:

Back