• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay to Tempt...

FireRose

Warren Scout
Well Merlin is a nawty bunny and doesn't eat hay well, is always choosing veggies + pellets over it,
I've reduced his pellets right down and he still doesn't eat the hay, I've tried those fibrefirst sticks.. He just turns his wee nose up at them.

At the moment I get some hay from TheRange, though I have tried several others forms of meadow hay, timothy hay hay with carrots/apples/dandelions etc etc in .... To try tempt him.. nothing - I got the hay smapler pack from the hay experts (I think it was from) out of all those they sent.. Merlin just looked at me as if to say WTF are you trying to feed menow lol.

SO anyway I think the hay he has now is too long stranded so I think he gets bored trying to get to the end if that makes sense as he'll literally chew a bit in the middle drop it, try another bit.

What hay can I try to get him to be a hay eater? I realise he's a middle aged man now so it maybe a hard to try get him to be a hay eater, but he's always been like this, but he will need new hay soon.. so I want to try again, what hay is so nommmy he wouldn't be able to resist it, but is maybe short strands?

Oxbow Western Timothy hay
You can get it from chinchillas to shop on the Internet or amazon or zooplus
It's a bit expensive but definitely worth trying
My too love it as much as coriander or herbs, and so much more than any other hay

Mine love Ings hay from Hay 4 Pets (well thats what they love this week!!!)

Have you tried Readigrass? My buns tuck into that too :)

Mine love Ings hay from Hay 4 Pets (well thats what they love this week!!!)

Have you tried Readigrass? My buns tuck into that too :)

Redigrass is on order - Hopefully he will nom in to something, I've tried so many now with and without added delights, he's a fickle bun for sure!!!

Oxbow Western Timothy hay
You can get it from chinchillas to shop on the Internet or amazon or zooplus
It's a bit expensive but definitely worth trying
My too love it as much as coriander or herbs, and so much more than any other hay

Thanks - He loves his parsley and coriander so perhaps hopefully he will love this too I will have a look in to it thank you! x

Have you tried alfalfa hay?, it's a bit naughty as hays go as it's quite sweet (apparently), and higher in protein than other hays so higher in calories so not good long term as the only hay, but it might tempt him, and get him in the swing of things.
Good luck

Lets hope so as he's in for a shock if not as I will remove all his pellets if he carries on being a naughty bun!! :lol:

Have you tried alfalfa hay?, it's a bit naughty as hays go as it's quite sweet (apparently), and higher in protein than other hays so higher in calories so not good long term as the only hay, but it might tempt him, and get him in the swing of things.
Good luck

I was looking at this before, but Merlin suffers for a bit of a sensitive tum, sometimes has his sticky poops left over (I can't spell it lol) so I am not sure if this would be suitable for him being sweet, though perhaps maybe put some for him in amongst "good" hay would you suggest? x

I was looking at this before, but Merlin suffers for a bit of a sensitive tum, sometimes has his sticky poops left over (I can't spell it lol) so I am not sure if this would be suitable for him being sweet, though perhaps maybe put some for him in amongst "good" hay would you suggest? x

I can't spell coco-whatsits either! :lol: When I say sweet, the bag I had had a scale of 1 - 5 for taste and crunch, and it said it was sweet and soft, but it's not sweet like an apple so it shouldn't upset a delicate tum. I think buns tend to leave their coco-whatsits if they are full of other stuff like veg and pellets. I think it's worth a try, you could try him with just a little bit to start to make sure it doesn't upset his tum.
Will he eat grass? Grass is just as good for teeth as hay, and plentiful at the moment, although not so much in the winter.

I can't spell coco-whatsits either! :lol: When I say sweet, the bag I had had a scale of 1 - 5 for taste and crunch, and it said it was sweet and soft, but it's not sweet like an apple so it shouldn't upset a delicate tum. I think buns tend to leave their coco-whatsits if they are full of other stuff like veg and pellets. I think it's worth a try, you could try him with just a little bit to start to make sure it doesn't upset his tum.
Will he eat grass? Grass is just as good for teeth as hay, and plentiful at the moment, although not so much in the winter.

When Merlin goes out to the garden, he'd much rather go over to the flower bed and dig and dig and dig.. he doesn't really pay much attention to the grass, I think he's of the thinking he dirtier he gets the more fun he has (considering he';s all whiteunderneath.... it's not fun for me lol)

I will get a small bag of it then tyvm and add in with some redigrass and his usual hay see if that tempts him some as he really is such a naughty bunny with Hay I find, perhaps it's me being a bad owner though I don't know, I always feel like I am never doing enough for him, even though he has everything (but I am sure we all feel like that! xx

Vit@Verde hay with Dandelion or Wild Rose. The quality varies however, don't buy it when it's yellow and stalky.

Back