• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something possibly up with Fudge? UD kidneys

What makes you say that?

Sorry just seen this!

Because your vet suspected her symptoms were something other than a UTI and possibly from E.C. I'd just be worried that it was something like E.C (this can attack the kidneys and some of the symptoms you mentioned could be linked with kidney damage, which I'm sure you know) and treating it would just rule out one more thing. I'd bring it up with the vet and see what they say. I can understand not wanting to treat it "just in case" because you don't want her on a ton of medication. I have refused to give panacur "just in case" in the past with Xena.

Really hope you get to the bottom of it. Bunnies are such a worry, especially when they have such general symptoms. :(

Sorry just seen this!

Because your vet suspected her symptoms were something other than a UTI and possibly from E.C. I'd just be worried that it was something like E.C (this can attack the kidneys and some of the symptoms you mentioned could be linked with kidney damage, which I'm sure you know) and treating it would just rule out one more thing. I'd bring it up with the vet and see what they say. I can understand not wanting to treat it "just in case" because you don't want her on a ton of medication. I have refused to give panacur "just in case" in the past with Xena.

Really hope you get to the bottom of it. Bunnies are such a worry, especially when they have such general symptoms. :(

Yes I did know about the kidney damage but hadn't actually made the link - thanks.
It's definitely something to consider as Truffle had EC previously, though Fudge showed no symptoms at the time.

I think if this latest lot of drugs doesn't cure her (and my suspicion is that it will not fully) then we will be running a whole load of tests - I've been seeing a new vet with her and he seems very open to ideas and discussion so hopefully we'll get somewhere. I'll have a think about the Panacur - I can see the benefit but also don't want to try too many things at once and then not figure out what has caused any changes in her.

I hope you find out what's wrong, it seems like the infection isn't totally going.

I always think you know when something is wrong with your bunny. I hope Fudge stays painfree until it is all sorted.

When Doughnut was wet for a year and tiddling everywhere, as soon as she was on the right medicine she went back to her litter tray and never tiddles outside of it again. Bunnies are so intelligent :)

They certainly can be. But sometimes you've got to wonder! Yesterday Fudge pottered into the lounge - for some reason she completley startled Truffle, who went hurtling off around the sofa, which in turn totally freaked Fudge, who went hurtling around in the opposite direction!

They certainly can be. But sometimes you've got to wonder! Yesterday Fudge pottered into the lounge - for some reason she completley startled Truffle, who went hurtling off around the sofa, which in turn totally freaked Fudge, who went hurtling around in the opposite direction!

:lol: Oh dear.

I think your plan about her treatment is a good idea. :thumb: I do hope that the baytril does cure her completely. :)

Sooooo we have had x-rays and blood tests now. X-rays came back normal. Bloods not normal, indicatve of kidney problems, but apparently 'not awful'. And she tested positive for EC (not surprising).

So she and Truffle will both be Panacured, and I have been advised now to put her on a low calcium diet.
I weighed her again this morning and she seems to have stablised at around 1.55 kg.

I feel so sorry for her :(

I am sorry to hear that Fudge has some renal problems. I hope that he can remain as stable as possible for as long as possible xx

Thanks Jane. Is this something you have experience of?
The vet was keen to stress that these were only mild issues currently, that she didn't want me to panic about it, and that she has known rabbits live for years with worse problems.

I'll obviously be doing some reading (when I'm not at work!), but if anyone does have any experience/advice, that'd be great.

Fudge is totally fine in herself currently, but I don't really know what to expect for her going forwards.

Thanks Jane. Is this something you have experience of?
The vet was keen to stress that these were only mild issues currently, that she didn't want me to panic about it, and that she has known rabbits live for years with worse problems.

I'll obviously be doing some reading (when I'm not at work!), but if anyone does have any experience/advice, that'd be great.

Fudge is totally fine in herself currently, but I don't really know what to expect for her going forwards.

What I found most useful for my kidney compromised bunny was fluids, and medication called Fortekor.

Good luck.

I've not got any experience of this in rabbits, only a cat, but I'm glad you know what you are dealing with now.

I'm afraid I have no advice but I'm glad there is a way forward for Fudge now. Sending healing vibes and prayers for her and hugs for you. xxxxxxx

Back