• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Burgess excel and french lops

Swixy

New Kit
Hi everyone :wave: I've not posted here before but could do with some advice I can't seem to get elsewhere!
I have 2 mini lops which I have been feeding burgess excel since I got them at 8 weeks old. Between 8-16 weeks I gave them the junior and dwarf variety and then when they got to 16 weeks I moved them onto the adult variety.
We have a french lop joining our family at the weekend :D and I'm hoping to feed her on burgess excel too. Now the question I have that no one seems to know the answer to is does the french lop need to start on the junior pellets or go straight onto the adult variety with her being a bigger bun? Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me with this :)

Junior pellets aren't essential but if anything a french lop would have them for longer as they are fully grown later than the smaller breeds.

I'm considering switching my frenchie on to junior pellets as I'm having trouble getting him up to a healthy weight and he must be nearly a year now.

ETA: had to edit my appalling grammar when I read it back :oops:

Last edited:
Yes, I agree, bigger means more growing to do so a higher protein requirement. You can just feed more of an adult pellet to get the same effect but the downside is you risk them filling up on pellets and not getting into the habit of eating hay.

Thank you battlekat and tamsin. I'll go for the junior mix then I think, how long would you recommend I keep her on those? I would imagine there's a fine line between a healthy weight french lop and a fat french lop :D

I have my french lop on science selective. Too much excel gave her a sticky bum but she has quite a sensitive tum anyway!

Thank you battlekat and tamsin. I'll go for the junior mix then I think, how long would you recommend I keep her on those? I would imagine there's a fine line between a healthy weight french lop and a fat french lop :D

If anything you have a bit more leeway with bigger rabbits but I've found with both my frenchies it's actually somewhat of a challenge to give them enough food. Easier if they're on their own or with a similar sized companion I imagine!

I'd probably keep her on them for the first 10 months or so? But I'm no expert.

I wouldn't feed French Lops on Excel but would choose something with a higher protein level such as A&P Breeder & Grower pellets or Dodson & Horrell Rabbit Pellets+, especially to younger French Lops who are still growing and need the protein.

Back