• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Diy forage ?

maria71

New Kit
How do you pick your own forage for bunnies and how do you dry it or do you just buy it from somewhere if so where please ?:)

I pick herbs/dandelions, sticky weed, brambles and hawthornfrom either my garden/wood, or in the woodland around, anywhere where it is away from where dogs might have weed against it, and away from pollution from roads. I don't dry it, although some people do, so that they have winter supplies.

I forage at a local organic veg farm. I buy most of my veg from them so they don't mind me going round their fields picking wild flowers/plants/beautiful long grass. I say local, it's about 8 miles away, and I go every couple of days at this time of year. I find it quite therapeutic as it is so peaceful.

So if I look on the thread that has the pictures of the safe forage I could just go for a wood walk or something like that and pick it ? Would I need to introduce it slowly the same as veg ??

I'm quite lucky as we have an old quarry at the top of the street and there is lots of foraging there and into the woods and park.
Most day in the good seasons I get dandelion leaves, blackberry leaves, plantain, wild roses, sticky weed and long grasses.
I take a canvas bag and scissors for the thorny stuff. Wash and bag it when I get home. I put it in the fridge until I feed it. I have never tried drying it though.

So if I look on the thread that has the pictures of the safe forage I could just go for a wood walk or something like that and pick it ? Would I need to introduce it slowly the same as veg ??

Yes, that's a great idea :thumb: just pick from areas where dogs haven't likely to have weed on it and don't pick from anywhere it might have been sprayed with any weed killer. And introduce slowly as you say :thumb:

Back