• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How Often Do You 'Check' Your Buns Bodies ?

ziggyandme

Mama Doe
Currently I comprehensively check my buns bodies fully for any problems maybe 4 times a week . Is this not often enough ? Obviously I would notice any visible issues several times a day but would not notice, say, a scratch on their backs . How often should comprehensive checking be done ?

Xx

Last edited:
I check my Rabbits over daily. I do a more thorough check (weight/heart/lungs/ears/teeth + jawline, nails etc) once a week unless there is a specific reason that a particular Rabbit needs a thorough check over more frequently. I find checking their weights to be invaluable as unexplained weightloss can be a very early warning sign of a problem. It can occur long before more obvious symptoms present.

I check mine daily. I see them all several times a day and I love sitting with them, stroking them and massaging their ears. They become very relaxed and snoozy when I do this so it is a great time to have a general feel and examination of eyes, orifices and claws. I weigh them once a month and check teeth with my otoscope fortnightly to three weekly as that is one exam they absolutely hate. Luckily I usually catch things fast as a result. Because I know my buns so well I can tell at a glance if one of them has stasis or if something else is not right. I also have to handle them to put them outdoors for free range time so again it is a good opportunity to feel their bodies.

I also stay with them when they are eating because of the risk of choking. When some of my buns were new and shy, they would not eat in front of me at first and I was forever worrying that that said bunny was in stasis. I had to set up a video camera and leave them before coming back to watch the playback just to make sure they had eaten :oops::lol: Luckily they always have done.

I stroke mine daily, concentrating on how they feel to me both in terms of their fur and checking for lumps and bumps and of course whether they flinch through pain in any particular area. I have found sticky patches on their fur and have had to brush this out, fetching out a decent pile of fur too - not that you'd notice as it's so thick! - and then it's gone; it's just sap off the trees they sit under.

I check their eyes and noses daily as I can see them clearly and I also check their bums as they hop away from me and also their hocks as they have been sore. I do occasionally catch them to check their hocks but they really, really don't like that!

I personally never weigh them as it would stress them out too much but they are weighed twice a year during vet checks.

I check their ears now and then when I think about it. Might do it today now that I've thought about it.

I stroke mine daily, concentrating on how they feel to me both in terms of their fur and checking for lumps and bumps and of course whether they flinch through pain in any particular area. I have found sticky patches on their fur and have had to brush this out, fetching out a decent pile of fur too - not that you'd notice as it's so thick! - and then it's gone; it's just sap off the trees they sit under.

I check their eyes and noses daily as I can see them clearly and I also check their bums as they hop away from me and also their hocks as they have been sore. I do occasionally catch them to check their hocks but they really, really don't like that!

I personally never weigh them as it would stress them out too much but they are weighed twice a year during vet checks.

I check their ears now and then when I think about it. Might do it today now that I've thought about it.

Weighing is stressful, I agree. I bought baby scales which are also prefect for small animals and I put a towel and some treats on the scales to make the process more enjoyable.

I check mine over every day. She hates being picked up which is stressful but with her previous health conditions I have to do it.

There's usually a tasty treat as a reward though!!

I pick Alf up every night (providing I can catch him) whilst he has his tea, and I check his bum as he doesn't eat all his cecals so sometimes gets a few stuck to him. Obviously when I do that I can feel how he feels, i.e. any lumps/bumps. I also don't weigh him (although he has lost weight so maybe I should) regularly, but I do stroke him and I can tell if he feels any skinnier by doing that. Alf isn't too keen on being handled or caught, so it really depends on his mood!

I used to check my little ones every day, but my rescue dwarf lop Flopps, is bad tempered at the best of times. She was never handled before I got her 3 years ago and although i tried to handle her she became so stressed that I had to stop. I can stroke her and get close to her when she's in her hutch but that's about it. She needs vaccinating in about three weeks. Not sure how well that will go. Any hints and tips would be appreciated. She about 8 or 9 now I think.

Rarely, I wouldn't even say once a month. But I honestly believe my rabbits are so healthy because I don't obsess over every little thing and don't treat them like they are delicate (not trying to offend anyone when I say that BTW).

Rarely, I wouldn't even say once a month. But I honestly believe my rabbits are so healthy because I don't obsess over every little thing and don't treat them like they are delicate (not trying to offend anyone when I say that BTW).

I actually agree with you but every rabbit is different and each owner knows what is best for their bun :thumb:

Mine are lucky if I check them over once a week....more like once a month.

I know my rabbits well enough to know when there are any issues, I know their behaviour and how they act.

The only one that I run my hands over daily is my elderly indoor boy as we're trying some new diets to help him better.

Mine aren't really touchy feely bunnies, they are entirely touchable on their own terms...often not at all

The only bun I check regularly is Apple as she is a dental bun and often loses weight and gets sore legs. I do watch them when I feed them and if anybun is not acting as normal I pick them up and check them. I also keep an eye on them when I am cleaning them out. I work long hours and I wouldn't have time to check eight bunnies every day.

I do worry about flystrike as I am regularly out of the house for 12 hours but I have to work and I live alone. None of my buns, apart from Apple, have any trouble cleaning themselves and Apple gets a bottom inspection before I go to work - whether it's a day shift or a night shift. When I've had buns who are unable to clean themselves I have used rearguard.

I know flystrike can occur very quickly and I am now sitting at work worrying about them all:(

I give mine the quickest of checks every day - as in looking at eyes/noses/in ears and getting a feel for how fat they are, then check their claws once a week or so.
I only really do a more thorough check if something's amiss.

At this time of year I check Delilah and Frankie twice daily as I have seen what flystrike looks like and what it can do. Neither of my buns have ever suffered with dirty botties or have any problems in cleaning themselves, but just in case.....and for my piece of mind.

Boarding bunnies get checked twice daily too.

I check my bun every day. He's only young so it gets him used to being handled & being friendly as well as a check up. I also check whats been going on in his hutch, what food has been eaten, whats in his litter tray & that his water bottle is working. When i put him back in I watch how he moves & what he's up to, then I visit several more times a day, open the hutch up & talk to him & stroke him. He's so sweet. Just love him! :love:

I actually agree with you but every rabbit is different and each owner knows what is best for their bun :thumb:

Mine are lucky if I check them over once a week....more like once a month.

I know my rabbits well enough to know when there are any issues, I know their behaviour and how they act.

The only one that I run my hands over daily is my elderly indoor boy as we're trying some new diets to help him better.

Mine aren't really touchy feely bunnies, they are entirely touchable on their own terms...often not at all

Oh yes, I wasn't saying everyone should do it my way, each to their own, and like you said, all buns are different. Mine appear to be made of steel, and from being on RU, I think I am very lucky.

Back