• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay

HChappell

New Kit
I was wondering how people give their bunnies hay. I have a wooden hay rack but the bunnies just sit in it and pee and poo all over it. We bought a wicker basket to hang by the litter tray but they have eaten the whole basket within two days. Is it normal for them to pee and poo whilst eating? do i just put the hay in the litter tray?

I put the hay in their litter trays, or sometimes scatter it in their run outside.

My lot poop as the eat it :lol:

Mine have hay in a hanging basket next to their litter trays, but other than that they do seem to like it best scattered on the floor so that they can nibble on the move!! And lots in their various litter trays so that they can munch and poop!

:)

Lots of us have those big underbed storage boxes, 3 for £10 from Poindstretcher. I line mine with newspaper then puts lots of hay on top. It is a great favourite with most of my rabbits, they hold 2 medium sized rabbits who sit there munching hay and use it as a litter tray. Happy bunnies!

Mine have a metal hayrack which is on one of the hutch doors, a loo roll centre stuffed with hay hanging from another hutch door and lots and lots of hay on the floor of the shed and the run. I don't have hay in their litter trays as mine do not eat and poop at the same time; they're classy girls ;) :lol:

I use wooden hay racks and wall based hanging baskets (they sit flat against a wall). Generally the bunnies will jump into the baskets and poop into them :roll: They also have puppy beds and large underbed boxes and hutches or wooden houses and I stuff hay into every empty space so wherever the turn there is hay to eat :thumb:

Glad it's not just mine who toilet and eat at the same time. The poop I can cope with it's the yellow pee that I can't !

Mine gets thrown on the shed floor for Lewis and Ailsa as its the only way they'll eat it. Islay, Jura and Arran start out with a hay rack but they usually pull it all out then eat it off the floor :lol:

Ours have their hay racks next to their litter trays - which are also filled with hay - they do love nibbling and pooping at the same time :D

Back