• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Forage for underdeveloped tummies

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
Hello!

I know it wouldn't normally be protocol to feed greens to youngsters, but in general I find forage extremely gentle on bunny tummies whatever their previous history and problems. So I was wondering if there is any forage that might be a good digestive support for bunnies who have been weaned too young and not fed a good diet and consequently are currently only producing cow pat poos?

Thanks in advance!

I fed Scamp on dandelion and blackberry leaves as some of his first solids when weaning. I did dry them first though, but blackberry leaves in particular would probably be good as they are very fibrous.

Great, thanks, it's good to know what worked for another weaning youngster. I was thinking some bramble would probably be good, and I have plenty of that available! There isn't any dandelion around here because we have wild bunnies so they eat everything at ground level!! I was also wondering about hawthorn, I know that's primarily got heart/blood pressure properties but I've also heard it is good for digestion, and we have about 300m of hawthorn hedge so easy to find nice fresh shoots. Any other suggestions from anyone else also gratefully received :)

Babies are about 5 weeks old I reckon, the smallest weighs 425g and is skin and bone. The two smallest didn't have any solid poos in their guts at all yesterday, it was all squelch and gurgle, but they are eating hay nicely today so fingers crossed...

I've not tried it personally but I would guess anything that's quite tough and leafy would be the right sort of thing.

Fibreplex might be something else to try.

Yes they're on fibreplex too, the vet suggested that would be a helpful therapy at this stage :)

I've given a little hawthorn a go, they seem to like it!

My late Floppy used to have a bad tummy for the same reasons. I found apple, both the leaves and branches, and rose leaves helped him a lot. I got him when he was 5 weeks old, but he was older before I found the diet helped him.

Great, that's helpful, thanks! I have both apples and wild rose so I will start to slowly introduce those, too :D

Little Emily has put on 20g and has done real poos instead of splats for the first time, today :D

imagejpg3_zps34b8491f.jpg

Aww, bless what a cutie! It's great the forage seems to have helped. I think you're right it is very gentle on sensitive tummies.

Back