• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye problem

juls65

Young Bun
I have an 11 week old mini lop who has some fur missing from the corner of his eye towards the side of the nose. About 5mm round patch.The eye itself looks normal, no redness, swelling or discharge at all & the skin on the patch isn't wet, inflamed, irritated or any redness & he doesn't seem bothered by it at all, just normal grooming of the face area. The other eye has a little fur missing but not as much. He had Ivomec a week ago which I will follow up in 7 days. Coat & skin are clean, no balding or scratches. I have changed his litter to Aubiose as he had been kept on shavings & I wondered if the shavings has irritated his eyes & made them watery although they don't seem to be running now. His breathing is fine, no discharge from his nose & he is eating & drinking normally & bouncing around happily as usual. Will take him to vet on Monday but wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this. Thanks :)

A photo would be helpful as its not really possible to say what it might be without seeing it. If he is kept with another Rabbit then one possibility is that the other Rabbit is over-grooming him.

I saw the vet & she gave him a very thorough examination & could find no health issues fortunately. Said it was likey that its be because he is moulting. He has changed colour over the past week big time! I gave him his ivomec drops today to finish the course & I'm brushing him every day too. Will keep a very close eye on him though, just in case. The trip to vet seems to have upset his tum a bit so I've given him his hay blend & dried forage today & no pellets. Hope it helps get him back to normal as he is eating ok. He's not got diarrhoea but he's leaving cecals at the moment. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.Thanks.

I saw the vet & she gave him a very thorough examination & could find no health issues fortunately. Said it was likey that its be because he is moulting. He has changed colour over the past week big time! I gave him his ivomec drops today to finish the course & I'm brushing him every day too. Will keep a very close eye on him though, just in case. The trip to vet seems to have upset his tum a bit so I've given him his hay blend & dried forage today & no pellets. Hope it helps get him back to normal as he is eating ok. He's not got diarrhoea but he's leaving cecals at the moment. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.Thanks.

Mine always seems to do this too, I don't think it's unusual for the stress to make them leave a few caecals. I always just make sure that there is plenty of hay and water available; and that he's eating, drinking and pooing.
If he's been funny about eating after the vets sometimes I've soaked some of his favourite herbs in a bit of water to tempt him, that normally perks him up and means he's had a little bit of water! :)
Keep an eye on him but I'm sure he'll be ok - the first vet trip is always the worst, they get used to it eventually :)

I've seen him eating & drinking today. Checking on him regularly to make sure he's ok. His poo is soft but formed, no fur in it or mucus. He's got three types of hay which are meadow ,oxbow orchard grass hay & a stalkier one with camomile with a sprinkle of burgess dried garden herbs & plantain. Pellet wise, he has an egg cup of supreme science junior, He's not on green food yet. Just hope it settles down again soon.

Back