• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Liver problem, incontienence and not eating much

Wilbur

Mama Doe
Am looking for advice or anyone with a similar experience. Louis is 9 years old and up until a month ago healthy and a good weight ( approximately 2.8kg). About four weeks ago he suddenly stopped eating and was hunched up and obviously in pain. Took him to the vets who administered a gut stimulant, some subcut fluids and pain relief, checked his blood glucose level which was 17 so not good. He ate a bit so they sent him home with me and I had to give him ranitidine that night. He was very sad all night and didn't eat. I had asked the vet if I should syringe feed him but she said no in case there was a blockage (she hadn't felt one). I took him back first thing the next morning as he was no better. They kept him in and gave him the same things again and when I picked him up later he was brighter and eating. Over the next few days he did eat but not a lot so I took him back to have his teeth checked and abdominal X-rays and a blood analysis The results were that his teeth were fine but he had raised liver enzymes in his blood (6 times normal) and an enlarged liver. The vet thought he was fighting a bacterial infection so he was given antibiotics I had to inject every three days for two weeks. I also gave him metacam as he still seemed uncomfortable. After three injections I took him back as it was getting increasingly difficult to get him to eat and I had started to syringe feed him. The vet did a blood test and the liver enzymes were back down to normal. I lose track of some of this but as he was still so reluctant to eat and he had lost over 500g it was decided to give him a course of steroid injections. On the third day I took him back as he had become incontienent. He had another steroid injection and antibiotics. The next day he was brighter and eating a bit more and he was dry. Again three days later he was incontienent. Took him back Sunday morning and he had steroid and antibiotics. Did really well later that day and yesterday eating quite well. Today he is again a bit more miserable and very slightly damp underneath. The vet I use is recommended for rabbits but I wonder what else could be wrong. His tummy is very gurgly and I can see it moving. He is also very fussy about what he eats. He will eat grass and carrot tops and that is about it. He isn't eating enough but when I was syringe feeding him he hardly ate anything. He is weeing and pooing. His poos are very soft. Sometimes they are formed but other times they look like mashed exel pellets. So sorry for the essay but I really am not sure what to do next. The vet says we just have to support him and see if he can get over this. The incontienence and no appetite worries me. The antibiotics he is on is engemycin. He is very skinny now so I don't know if he has the strength for more investigations but he is still here and still seems to want to fight. So any ideas however odd about what could be going on or what we could try would be gratefully received. X

Did the Vet explain why she prescribed a steroid if she already suspected an active bacterial infection and he already had an enlarged liver :?

Was/is he still having Metacam ?

How long ago was his last blood test ?

His last blood test was on the 27 June. He is not on metacam because of the steroids. She has given me Tramadol but he seemed to react badly with that (even more lethargic and not eating). It was almost impossible to get down him as well as it doesn't dissolve well in water and he spat out the food I put it in.

She thought the liver infection had gone and that the steroid would help his liver recover. She said it was a last ditch attempt to help him.

Is he still having Ranitidine (Zantac). One adverse side effect of steroids is gastric ulceration. The risk being even greater in a Rabbit with a poor food intake. I am wondering if he could have a gastric ulcer ?

He only had ranitidine twice when he first was poorly so about a month ago. Can they check for a gastric ulcer? Also he is eating better on the day after the steroids and then goes back to eating very little. I did wonder if a urinary tract infection could cause him not to want to eat and whether he needs a different antibiotic to the one prescribed. I have tried infacol to help his tummy but the vet did say to try not to give it because of the sugar.

He only had ranitidine twice when he first was poorly so about a month ago. Can they check for a gastric ulcer? Also he is eating better on the day after the steroids and then goes back to eating very little. I did wonder if a urinary tract infection could cause him not to want to eat and whether he needs a different antibiotic to the one prescribed. I have tried infacol to help his tummy but the vet did say to try not to give it because of the sugar.

Steroids are an appetite stimulant so it is not surprising that he initially eats a bit better after a steroid injection. I would ask the Vet about the Ranitidine as a gastric ulcer is a strong possibility

Has a urinalysis been done ?

No he hasn't had his urine tested unless it was done when he first went in. Would the ranitidine help with an ulcer then? Thank you.

Jane,

Thank you so much. When I go to the vets tomorrow I will ask for a urine test and about the ranitidine and possible gastric ulcer.

Back