• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit won't eat hay?

SophieMayK

New Kit
Hello,
I have a 9 week old mini lop, it is my first time having a pet rabbit. I give my rabbit a fresh pile of hay, an egg cup of pellets and an egg cup of dried food a day. (I'm unsure how much dry food I should give it). I noticed it wasn't really touching its hay so I bought a more expensive brand which was dandelion flavored (he likes those) in hoping he would eat more. He still doesn't seem interested in hay and pigs all his dry food quite quick. His downstairs sits on grass which is he doesn't really eat much but when I put him out in his run he'll eat grass all day. He started getting diarrhea and i assumed it was the grass so I put hay and newspaper in his run but he completely ignores it and eats the grass. I don't want to keep him in his smaller run all day just to stop him eating the grass. He'd rather eat the newspaper that I put in his bedding area as well as the wood chip shaving. I think the pet shop must have just bought him up on dry food, I don't really know what to do so any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

The important thing with a young rabbit is to feed what they are used to, and then gradually change, even if it was a bad diet to start with. If you aren't sure what the shop feeds, give them a call and ask. If it turns out it was mostly dry food, then feed a bit more of that for now to make sure he's eating enough. I take it the dry food they were giving was a mix? If so you can start mixing pellets in slowly - gradually swap from one to the other by increasing the pellets and decreasing the mix. Do it over around a two week period - a few more pellets and a little less mix each day.

Grass, is great for bunnies, and can be used instead of hay, but if they aren't used to it then it can cause problems. So I'd restrict the amount for now. Do you have a paved area you could put the run on for part of the day, or maybe a piece of board you could put down? Just so he doesn't gorge on too much grass in one go. Once he's got used to it gradually, he can then eat it all day. Again, you need to build up over several weeks.

Trying out different hays is a good idea, you might find he'll be more keen to eat them, once the grass is restricted. Have you tried putting some hay in his bedding area? It might be he's like to munch whilst relaxing, particularly if he's eating the newspaper in there.

Thank you for your reply!
I only really have a bark area where I could put the run but I don't think that would be much fun for a rabbit, its like a pen that has tent pegs that hold into the ground so it's really only made for grass. I could find something to put down but I'll probably have to go to a shop and buy something :)

The mix is just like a protein mix and I don't even know if they included pellets but he sure does like them when I give him them. I'd give another hay a go but I bought two bags of the smallest size and there's still loads left ha! I don't want to buy another bag and he still doesn't eat it.. He must eat it because there's so much poop in his hay pile, it's just hard to see how much he's eating because he squashes it all flat and makes a bed from it. I put hay only in his bedding area, do you suggest I put some outside of it as well? I put his litter tray in his bedding part with hay in as well as hay outside of it. I'm attempting to litter train but I think he's smart and likes to pee just outside of it every time to wind me up haha!

For now I'll only put him on grass for a little bit until hes used to the grass and gradually leave him out longer each day?

They do like a bit of hay in their litter tray, I'd tend to put the tray where he poops/wees to start with,then once he's using the tray gradually move it to where you'd prefer it.

Gradually increasing his time on grass is a good way to do it. If you've got a suitable space, you could also let him exercise inside. Kitchens and bathrooms are good as they usually have wipe clean floors :)

Back