• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New diet question!

MargieX3

Young Bun
Walter our rabbit gets fresh greens (kale, spinach and lettuce) for breakfest and dinner. And endless amounts of hay throughout the day. Now.... my question... is this okay? He is 4 months now :) maybe at 6 or 7 months we will start to get some fruits in there every now and than!

Thank you everyone and hope everyone has a great weekend!
ha6a9u4u.jpg
eby7uta2.jpg
unezebu2.jpg

The last picture is our new game that we play with him!

I think at 4 months I was only just thinking about introducing veg to Fergies diet, I'm sure if I was giving him anything at 12 weeks it was teeny tiny amounts :) but if he's been used to fresh veg for a while he's probably ok with it, if you've only just started giving him it then go slow with it :)

I tend not to give too much kale or spinach (kale can be quite high in calcium and spinach in oxalates I think? Can't remember!) so you could try giving things like herbs or spring greens :) but introduce slowly and one thing at a time incase it upsets his tum :)

Lots of hay is gooooood! :) he's a gorgeous little bun!

It's really down to what a rabbit is used to. If he's used to it, happy and has good poop then it's fine. Rather than introducing fruits, I'd go for a little more variety in leafy greens. Different foods have different vitamins/minerals so mixing it up is a good way to give him a good range and keep things interesting. You could try out fresh herbs - you can grown your own if green fingered, dandelions or other forage like apple tree leaves, thistle, bramble leaves etc. or spring greens, carrot tops, cauliflower leaves etc.

Back