• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moult or Mites? Rex Bun with rapid Fur Loss. U/D Mites confirmed!

Dippy_Danni

Warren Scout
Jasper's fur is falling out rapidly along his back and he is 1 grumpy bun tonght.

We had him exactly 1 year ago this month and I don't know what is a normal amount of fur loss for this time of year - I didn't think Rexes moulted?

The accommodation is shared by 1 other bun, they eat the same hay etc - The other is a Dutch and doesn't seem to be losing much fur at all.

Going to ring vet for appointment tomorrow unless I hear this is normal? lol

Last edited:
My wee Smudge had hair loss on an ear a year or so ago, it was mites...

I would go to Vets for professional opinion

good luck

Fee x

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, do Rexes moult :?

Rabbits001.jpg

Rabbits002-2.jpg

Rabbits005-1.jpg

Rabbits006-1.jpg

Rabbits008-1-1.jpg

Rexes moult worse than any other bunny I think......their coat is so think, it has to come out in hot weather :lol:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, do Rexes moult :?

Rabbits001.jpg

Rabbits002-2.jpg

Rabbits005-1.jpg

Rabbits006-1.jpg

Rabbits008-1-1.jpg

That is exactly what I am seeing! The whole centre of his back. There is also some loss down the inside of his front legs and the base of his ears where they touch, the outer edge of the ears are normal.

Had a head massage off me last night and it feels like there are tiny scabs around the base of his neck though.

The 2 Rex girls I have, don't seem to be losing much, only what flies away when you stroke them.

Rexes moult worse than any other bunny I think......their coat is so think, it has to come out in hot weather :lol:

But theirs is only a base coat, so I thought they'd hang on to it. The 2 girly Rexes aren't doing this, nor Logan who I would have expected to.

Will ring vet this morning anyway. :)

All bunnies moult, their fur doesn't grow continually so the only way for them to replace old/damaged fur is to moult it out. Otherwise by the time the got to a few years old they'd be looking very scruff.

It's just not all bunnies do it quite that dramatically :lol:

It could be mites and a moult though, so if there are scabs to go with it or the skin is flakey then getting him checked is a good idea :)

I once had a rex who moulted like that after being moved from an outdoor enclosure to being a house bun. he shed more or less his entire coat in maybe a week, it was very dramatic lol. Hope vets goes well :)

All bunnies moult, their fur doesn't grow continually so the only way for them to replace old/damaged fur is to moult it out. Otherwise by the time the got to a few years old they'd be looking very scruff.

It's just not all bunnies do it quite that dramatically :lol:

It could be mites and a moult though, so if there are scabs to go with it or the skin is flakey then getting him checked is a good idea :)

I read they moult about 4 times a year - summer being the main moult when they would lose more, and that they shed in blocks of 1 area at a time. I just expected them all to do it around the same time.

Vet's appt booked for 11.30 am tomorrow :)

I once had a rex who moulted like that after being moved from an outdoor enclosure to being a house bun. he shed more or less his entire coat in maybe a week, it was very dramatic lol. Hope vets goes well :)

TY Jasper came indoors 4 weeks after we had him so he has been ruling my home for 11 months now lol.
Not had the window or patio door closed in over 2 weeks though, even I am flailing lol

Just hone from seeing our vet who confirmed we have a case of Mites!
Xeno 450 spot on prescribed. 6 pippettes @ 2 per application to be given fortnightly.

Not sure who feels more riffy right now, Me or Jasper.. lol. Me I think, he's too busy sulking after car journey lol

:(.... Poor wee soul.... Nothing worse than being at the vets...

Hope his mites naff off soon...

Fee xxxx

Back