• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best foods for a healing bun

Buntypops

Young Bun
As you may have seen by my other posts, my bunny was diagnosed yesterday with a fractured pelvis and is on cage rest and pain killers

Are there any specific foods that maybe aid bone growth/ healing?

The foods she is generally fed (not all at once - this isn't one meal, we try vary things!) are:

Excell adult rabbit minty kibble
Unlimited Timothy hay that had little dried carrot& apple bits
Curly kale
Spring greens
Curly parsley
Spinach
Carrot
Occasional rabbit biscuit stick treats etc
Basil
Mint
Rocket

Any other good foods? She's very picky though!

Thanks xx

Comfrey's nickname is Knitbone, and that appears on rabbit safe lists. I've never fed it and don't know if it lives up to its name though :oops: hopefully someone who actually knows will see this now I've bumped it up :thumb:

Hi, It may be best to avoid adding anything new to the diet at the moment as it could cause an upset tum. Hope she gets well soon :)

Ooh I hope your little bun is feeling better soon.
I'm sure I read on here that willow has mild painkilling properties, so maybe a little willow will help ease the pain and be good for them at the same time.

I would slowly add in:

willow
comfrey (excellent for bones really excellent)
apple sticks for chewing entertainment
mint and other herbs (for interest)

any range of wild forage you can find as it will often be much more fibrous than the shop bought stuff

Back