• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit has hay fever!

Alice11

New Kit
Hi everyone, I've just joined this forum and would like some advice. I adopted my bunny a few months ago and he was very poorly. He sneezed excessively and made a chocking/screaming noise. I took him to the vets straight away and she said she'd never heard anything like it before! She have him antibiotics but it didn't help. Through process of elimination I've worked out he's allergic to hay and sawdust and cheap dusty cat litter.

I know hay is a massive part of a rabbits diet and I really could do with some advice as to what would be a good substitute. I asked this to the last vet I saw but he was very rude to me, he dismissed me and said rabbits can't be allergic to hay.

Currently he has excel dry food and fresh food every day. He doesn't like chews but will eat those things that look like breakfast bars you attach to the cage.

Thanks in advance for your advice :)

Hi and welcome.

Yes definitely fresh grass or dust free hay. I'd keep away from wood shavings altogether. I'd also look for a rabbit savvy vet - what area do you live in, maybe someone can recommend one.

When you say the antibiotics didn't help, is bun still sneezing and making choking noises?

Maybe try dust-free hay? Or fresh grass? Maybe it's more the dust than the actual hay... :wave:

I went to my local pet shop and they gave me sample of dust free hay to try him on and he was allergic to that too I'm afraid. I pick lots of dock leaves and dandelions for him but have never picked him grass before. Hay just seems really fibrous and I'm not sure what to give as a substitute. My grandad told me to give him porridge oats but I'm not sure!

Hi and welcome.

Yes definitely fresh grass or dust free hay. I'd keep away from wood shavings altogether. I'd also look for a rabbit savvy vet - what area do you live in, maybe someone can recommend one.

When you say the antibiotics didn't help, is bun still sneezing and making choking noises?

Thank you, I live in Sheffield. However I don't work so receive free treatment at the pdsa.
The vets there are a bit hit and miss.

No I have removed hay and sawdust etc he has stopped the sneezing and chocking. However I did finish the antibiotics so maybe it helped a bit I'm not sure. I originally bought him expensive dust free cat litter then went onto asdas own which set him off again because it was so dusty so I swapped back.

Back