• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excessive drinking and stomach noises, but otherwise healthy

I have a new bun, adopted 3 weeks ago. Fiesty little thing, but very adorable. Since I got her I've noticed that she seems to get through an awful lot of water. At first I thought maybe she was digging or tipping the water out somehow but it is one of those chunky ceramic bowls and she'd very slight. I even thought that it might be evaporation, but that's pretty unlikely with the amount.

Anyway, having kept an eye on it, the bowl never moves and the ground around the bowl isn't damp (she's currently living alone - post spay - until it heals). I'm having to refill the bowl, right to the top, twice a day and the bowl holds at least 300ml. Presuming she isn't tipping the water out, she's drinking at least 300ml a day. When I go to check on her water, it can be either very low or on some (guilt ridden) occasions dry, despite filling right to the top 4 or 5 hours before. (The first time prompted me to attach a bottle to the run as well so there is water available at all times and have tried to teach her how to use it). Often, the bowl will be low on both water change times, although I now check throughout the day - so the actual amount drank can be between 300-500ml, I just dont know how she manages it? I change her litter tray twice a day and the megazorb in her large corner tray is pretty much all damp, which fits in with large water consumption. Her poos are large, round and 'grassy' not dark - very healthy and lots of them. She demolishes her hay a good few handfulls morning and evening - another reason I considered as to why she drinks so much. She lives on grass, and eats that and gets fresh herbs to supplement (parsley, mint, flat leaf parsley, basil) and for treats with the occasional carrot etc as well as a small amount of science selective.

What made me question whether this is normal is her stomach gurgling. When i sit in with her I'll watch her glugging her water, she's not at all sheepish about it like my other buns, she's lapping/gulping the water so fast I can hear her stomach 'squelch'. Now, my last bun Honey Bunny was ill for most of her 8 years, with a few chunks of healthy here and there and died after a very long fight (very brave girl) and Thumper stops eating at any signs of stress, so I am used to dealing with stasis issues and while this isn' the case here - as she is running, jumping, playing with no sign whatever of pain, shock and she's eating, drinking & poos are normal - I know that gurgling sounds can be a big warning flag. Being an adopted bun, I can't say that her drinking amount has changed as she was drinking like this since I got her.

Any thoughts would be useful, I just dont know whether this is the norm or whether its vet time again? (they know me so well, they check me in just by seeing my car arrive in the carpark, sigh) Many thanks x

Last edited:
Bumping up. I've no advice I'm afraid, other than my lot drink a lot more when they eat more hay or it's warm weather

Thanks for bumping Zoobec - I think I'll just have to keep an eye on it, luckily the vets is right at the top of my road if anything does happen with her tummy. I guess if she's happy and eating. she's ok for now. I think I might invest in a jumbo dog bowl though ;)

I can't tell you if she's drinking too much... But I can tell you that one of my rabbits has the noisest stomach when she drinks. It really squeaks and gurgles! It scared me when I first heard it so I asked on here and some rabbits just seem to noisy tummies when drinking. I can hear Maddie's in the other room! She's never had any gut problems though and I've never considered her a big drinker.

Yes, thats exactly the noise she makes - squeaks and gurgles! She does seem pretty happy and if other buns have these noises too, I'm sure everything is ok. Crazy little creatures :D I'll watch out for any other issues, but your post has definitely helped ease the worry. Thanks Kirotea

My two (though Susie just passed :() both make the drinking noises!

It's quite cute :)

Have you thought about a bigger bowl? I got my two a large bowl and bottle.

Macaron's tummy is really gurgly when he drinks! There's occasional squeaks too! The more he drinks the louder it is but he's never had any tummy issues either.

My 2 have gurgly tummies when they drink but I quite like it because it shows me that there's movement in their tummy. If it didn't squeak I'd be more worried that the gas wasn't moving. Also mine have recently started having between 2-3 rabbit bowls of water everyday. I monitored it for a week which might be a good idea? Just in case a vet visit was needed but actually they're fine xx

I would be worried if the gut is noisy when she is not drinking, but not so much if it is just happening whilst she is drinking.

My 2 rabbits get through 600-1600ml a day between them depending on weather, diet and health. It is Barney that is the culprit, when he was on his own he used to drink 900-1200ml a day. As well as diet and weather, I have found that there is a direct correlation between his gut health and the amount he drinks. When his gut plays up, the amount he drinks soars. He has chronic gut problems and snuffles.

Now he is on medication he drinks less , and whilst he is on high doses I find his water consumption drops (sometimes as low as 600ml between them), I imagine because his gut is working okay. It is probably worth mentioning that vets have always said that him drinking that amount shouldn't harm him. He also seems perfectly healthy to the naked eye, just thin, and eats well, his health problems were only diagnosed through tests.

I would just keep an eye on it, as it's not that excessive considering the heat at the moment. I would definitely get a bigger bowl though, I use the biggest ceramic dog bowls from P@H, they hold just over a litre. She obviously feels she needs the extra fluids, so it's important to keep her hydrated.

Last edited:
both mine have been drinking lots more since the warm weather started, they both make squeaky tummy noises too, I use a tall water feeder for mine, and fill that at morning and late afternoon, it holds lots more than a bowl and keeps the water fresh and clean.

Back