• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many times a day do you give your buns fresh hay?

I think I'm a bad bunny Mummy then!!!

Neo gets his litter tray changed every other day/ 2 days... I feel gross now!!!

We stir the paper pellets around every day though and he gets new hay which goes on top of the litter anyway.

Is this bad? :(

No, it's not bad! I change mine every 3- 5days, although I do have a large underbed storage crate. If it was a tiny corner one then I'd do it every two days, like today.

My bunnies gets fresh hay every evening and sometimes in the morning, depending on how much they have eaten.

The floor of my girls' shed and outdoor run has a thick layer of hay, plus they have a hay rack in their hutch which is filled as and when it's looking low. Therefore I don't actually have to keep adding hay on a daily basis; they have stacks of the stuff! :lol:

Litter tray and pooping/wee areas are cleaned/changed every morning. If it is a hot day I will also do a general sweep of an evening too but I don't change the newspapers (wee ones) until the morning.

We stir the paper pellets around every day though and he gets new hay which goes on top of the litter anyway.

I would try to do litter trays daily and have a separate hay rack too :)

Pablo and Lexi dont go through much hay...litter trays cganged every 2-3 days but piles of fresh hay dotted around sgeds, hutches and runs mist which get binned the next day and replaced with fresh...seems such a waste :roll: but bar buying woodlands hay from pets at home for 6quid a bag there not big hay eaters they do though go through piles of fresh grass :thumb:

I don't change my litter tray every day either :wave:
As long as it's clean dry hay on top I don't think it's an issue. I would probably get a rack though, just to make sure there's always a supply of clean hay.

I change the trays every other day too and add hay on top when needed but they have a hay feeder too which they tend to eat from rather than the tray as they like the timothy hay in it better than the meadow in the tray. As long as they're not sitting in wet and they're clean I think it is ok. I might change more when it gets warmer but so far this is working for my two. Plus you only have one rabbit so less poo than two (or more) bunnies!

ETA: Hay in the feeder gets topped up 2 or 3 times a day depending on how much they've munched. It's quite big though so they'd never get through it all in a day anyway.

Last edited:
Ooh think I didn't explain properly!

He's got a 72 litre box which has a hay rack attached to the inside. Hay rack is filled up every morning and the hay that he pulls out covers the pellets.

Therefore there is ALWAYS clean, fresh hay every day that is not touching the litter :)

Before anyone thinks I'm mean!

Back