• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More Plant IDing Please

Captain Helen

Wise Old Thumper
Found this first one after cutting back a bush thing that was taking over the driveway today. It's been squashed under the weight of the second plant for a while, so it's a poor specimen. My dad thinks it's lonicera (honeysuckle?) which would make it rabbit safe.

And this is the beast we cut back. I think it's some kind of palm? Huge leaves. I doubt this is rabbit safe, I'm just curious what it is.

Thank you :wave:

Oh and I also wanted to double check that fuchsia is rabbit safe? For some reason I used to think it was toxic for buns, but I've noticed people feeding it recently. I checked on Rabbit Nutrition and it says safe. I cut a couple of bits of it back today and was hoping to give it to the buns x

Last edited:
The first one I don't know what it is, but the second one is fatsia japonica. I don't know if that or fushia is bun safe I'm afraid.

The top one looks like some kind of virburnam from the leaf , though I haven't seen one that is horizontal like that. The second plant is definately Fatsia Japonica (false caster oil plant) and is toxic, and I'm not sure about fushias.

Thanks guys :) False caster oil plant rings a bell now you mention it. Interesting that it's Japanese. It's an interesting looking plant, but it has become huge over the last few years! It was killing all the other plants around it, even the conifers have grown at a right angle to try to get away from it.

The top one looks like some kind of virburnam from the leaf , though I haven't seen one that is horizontal like that. The second plant is definately Fatsia Japonica (false caster oil plant) and is toxic, and I'm not sure about fushias.

I don't think the first one is supposed to be horizontal, it's just been pushed down by the weight of the second plant. I'm hoping it'll grow a bit bigger now it has some room. Same for the fuchsia, brambles and mint that are growing nearby. And if that and the fuchsia are rabbit safe then that's a huge bonus!

Thanks guys :) False caster oil plant rings a bell now you mention it. Interesting that it's Japanese. It's an interesting looking plant, but it has become huge over the last few years! It was killing all the other plants around it, even the conifers have grown at a right angle to try to get away from it.

I don't think the first one is supposed to be horizontal, it's just been pushed down by the weight of the second plant. I'm hoping it'll grow a bit bigger now it has some room. Same for the fuchsia, brambles and mint that are growing nearby. And if that and the fuchsia are rabbit safe then that's a huge bonus!

I've never thought about letting them eat fuchsia before but there's an enormous fuchsia shrub filling a corner of my garden that needs taming, would be great if I could give it to the buns. I've just found out they like herb robert which is also taking over the place!

I've never thought about letting them eat fuchsia before but there's an enormous fuchsia shrub filling a corner of my garden that needs taming, would be great if I could give it to the buns. I've just found out they like herb robert which is also taking over the place!

Herb robert looks quite distinctive, I might have a chance at recognising that :lol: But how many alternative names?! "Red Robin, Death come quickly, Storksbill, Dove's Foot, Crow's Foot, or (in North America) Robert Geranium" and stinky bob! :lol: Don't like the sound of 'death come quickly'! :shock:

The top one looks like a cotoneaster to me :)

Honeysuckle would have spread it self all over and wound it's way up your triffid :lol:

The top one looks like a cotoneaster to me :)

Honeysuckle would have spread it self all over and wound it's way up your triffid :lol:

That could be it! I don't know if it flowers or fruits, I'll have to keep an eye on it. I was thinking of tying it up onto the big plant, so I don't drive over it.

Wiki says it's part of the rose family and relate to hawthorn, but does that mean anything when it comes to bunny food?! It's out the front and well away from the buns, so it doesn't need to be safe for them, and needs to grow a lot before I'd think about harvesting it, but it would be great if they could eat it one day.

They have little flowers but bright red berries for winter.

It looks like it might be a low growing variety, so rather than tying it upwards, I'd see if it will bend sidewise gently, poop a little 6" stake at the edge along a bit and tuck it behind to keep it in place. A bit of your prunings will do.

Alternatively, just trim it back. Now it's uncovered they grow pretty well, and that will encourage it to bush out.

Tasmin, do you know if Fuchsia is safe for bunnies to eat?

I'm not sure, googling I get the impression it's not particularly toxic if they have a chew on it but not necessarily something to deliberately feed. Definitely avoid the berries.

Back