• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

May have to cut down the pellets and veg! (Video added)

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
I read on the Wikipedia page that a mini lops max weight should be 1.6kg, with 1.5 being ideal?

Milo is only just over 1kg so he still has growing to do with being only 4 months old.

Finn however has always been bigger and weighs just over 1.5kg! :shock: And he is supposedly 4 months too! But personally I always thought he was a week maybe two older?

I'm now really worried that he is too big! They get hay whenever they want and only say half of a handful of pellets on a morning between them! They also get a little bit of whatever veg between them on a night (broccoli, parsley, mint etc.) and even that's only less than a handful between them!

Is Finn too big!? I'm thinking of cutting out his pellet all together and just offering a few small pieces as a treat? and then maybe a very small bit of veg at night as a treat? Milo would still get a little more than Finn because he is only just over 1kg and I don't want him to lose weight!

Advice?

Last edited:
That'll be for a purebred perfect breed. It's VERY unlikely that your bunnies are. Yes, minilops are normally around the 1.5Kg mark, but anything around that is fine.

That'll be for a purebred perfect breed. It's VERY unlikely that your bunnies are. Yes, minilops are normally around the 1.5Kg mark, but anything around that is fine.

Finn does look a lot bigger than Milo but they are not brothers so Finn is probably just a bigger rabbit? Im thinking I might start weighing their food to ensure they are getting just the right amount. To be fair when I feed them they both eat from the same bowl and Finn eats faster than Milo! Maybe its just because of this he is getting more!

It's really better to gauge if they are under/overweight by their body shape etc, whether you can feel ribs and backbone, whether they are having trouble cleaning themselves etc rather than worrying about weights IMO

It's really better to gauge if they are under/overweight by their body shape etc, whether you can feel ribs and backbone, whether they are having trouble cleaning themselves etc rather than worrying about weights IMO

Its hard for me to gauge because I think Milo looks perfect. :lol: But then again Finn is a bigger eater! When they are stood together I always think Finn is fat! But he is very fluffy! And it could just be because he is stood next to a smaller rabbit!

I really think you shouldn't be worried about your rabbits' wegiht at 4 months old and I don't think it's a good idea to cut Finn's pellets down. Rabbits grow for the first 6 months then fill out until they are about a year old but even then they will need some pellets for maintaining their body. Also, if they are quite active they will use up more calories.

I have a mini lop and a mini lion lop. Both are neutered (this can affect their weight and make them end up heavier) Daisy (mini lop) was 2.2kg when I took her to the vet the other week. Levi (lion lop) was 2.3kg. I got them from a breeder so would assume they are about as purebred as you are going to get. But the fact is that is why so many breeders who breed to show discard so many of the bunnies they breed because they are too big, their head shape isn't correct, their ears aren't right, their colouring isn't perfect etc etc. I really wouldn't worry. The vet said my two were perfect and it was lovely to see two such obviously well cared for bunnies :)

I really think you shouldn't be worried about your rabbits' wegiht at 4 months old and I don't think it's a good idea to cut Finn's pellets down. Rabbits grow for the first 6 months then fill out until they are about a year old but even then they will need some pellets for maintaining their body. Also, if they are quite active they will use up more calories.

Milo is a LOT more active than Finn, Finn would much rather pick a spot and lie in it then binky for 5 minutes before going back to being lazy!

Milo is a serial binkier and is always running around!

I may just ensure that I am giving them just the right amount for their weights and try and not give out extra treat and things. (I admit to giving them apple treats and small carrots pieces on the odd occasion)

Back