• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cucumber

dumblepaws

Mama Doe
Am still trying to understand calcium in bunny urine, and a suggestion has been to increase their water intake.
They've completely turned their noses up at water with apple or cranberry juice in, so i was wondering if there was a vegetable that had a high water content as obviously stuff liike watermelon is too sugary
And i came up wih cucumber!

I think it's safe - but how much of it can i feed?
And any other suggestions to make them drink more or of veg with a high water content?

thank you!

Mine like celery (chopped up so its not too stringy). Do you use a bowl? I find mine waaay prefer them to bottles. They have large ceramic dog bowls.

They have 2 bowls and a bottle

Will see how they get on with celery and cucumber

Tabithakat64 - what sort of quantity of cucumber do you give them? Some lists say it's fine but others say it can cause upset tummies so not to overdo it so will obviously start off with a tiny bit but not sure how much to feel once they're used to i
Thanks

I've always fed cucumber but my vet thinks it caused Bear's last bout of stasis due to the high water content so we have stopped now to be on the safe side :)

Most veggies/leaves have a pretty high water content. Introducing fresh grass is a good way to up water intake - it might not feel like it though as the more fresh foods you feed the less they'll drink from a bowl. The good thing about grass is it also has a high fibre content and it's perfect for their digestive system. Once you've introduced it gradually they can eat as much of it as they like.

Back