• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unknown underlying problems?

sunnibunny

Alpha Buck
My rabbit Leah has never been a big eater or drinker. Thus has always been a struggle to getting fibre in her as she barely eats compared to what i read to other rabbits. She gets less than half an egg cup of pellets to stimulate her grass intake but no increase, and she drinks much less than 50ml water per day. She is 1.5kg bunny, do her poops are always darker due to the forage and smaller than what is ideal. When she was on long term pain relief for possible tooth pain, there wasnt much change in her eating habit. When she had long term gut stimulants, also no increase in her food intake. So trying to get her to eat grass or hay is impossible. So she is going to vet to have teeth checked just in case, but even when she had her teeth spurs burred down in the past, there still was no improvement in her eating habit. Its just the same. So what other possibilities could it be?

Just wondering what other more knowledgeable and experienced ppl thought, as want to be a bit more clued up when i see vets, so can ask relevant questions.

Thanks in advance, just love my bunny so much that i want her to be healthy and ok.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear you're having problems, I'm not sure I can offer much advice, far from an expert here! Does she eat/have an interest in veg/herbs? Have you tried different types of hay or adding herbs to the hay perhaps or other ways of encouraging her to be more interested?

How does the vet feel about her weight? Is she about right or under? If she's about right then she must be getting the calories she needs even if it seems like she's not eating a lot.

If you are feeding a lot of fresh foods it's normal for water intake to be very low. Rabbits would naturally get almost all their water needs from eating grass rather than drinking water. I can't remember the last time I actually saw Scamp drink out of his bowl. Likewise, rabbits on forage/fresh grass do have dark poops, that's normal. The elusive 'golden poops' are just because hay is pale in colour but dark poops aren't a problem.

How much does Leah actually eat?

Sorry i have not updated here for a while, but i wanted to make sure it wasnt a fluke. But leah seems so much better. She eats more, she drinks more. She is grazing more and being active more too. Frankly i dont why its changed, but im happy for it. She seems happier to.be outside to eat and poop rather than inside. Total believer that exercise is very important. Still not exactly a grass eater, not a hay chance either. But forage she eats happily. She was slightly under optimum weight, so feeding her more and she seems happier in general. Currently she is grazing in the grass. :)

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

Back