• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Red leaves?

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Feel like I'm being a but stupid but is it ok to feed leaves from safe plants that are red rather than green?! In particular rose bushes sometimes have reddy purpley leaves and I recently got some strawberry plants and some of the leaves are red so I've avoided giving them!

I've never heard that you shouldn't feed red leaves. Certainly, strawberry leaves are a safe food so I shouldn't think it matters whether they're green or slightly red-tinged.

I believe that when leaves go red they have more sugar in, a result of the decaying process. So personally I wouldn't because I have a bunny sensitive to sugar.

Hmm interesting! I think the strawberry ones I avoided cos they looked like they are 'turning' but wondered about the rose bushes as the leaves seem to naturally be a deep reddy purpley colour?

Back