• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much food do u feed ur bunnies

Kelly11

Warren Scout
Hi

I was just wonder what people a daily routine was with their bunnies and food? Sometimes I don't feel
I feed them enough other times I'm like is that to much lol I had 2 for 3 years and recently got a new bunny noël as Dillon passed away and he's a bit of a bigger bun

In the morning I feed them a plate of veg and pellets so mix of cabbage carrots broccoli cabbage etc with pellets scattered around! Then just before I leave for work I leave load of grass and herbs and they have loads of hay a selection! Then wen I get home from work I feed them the plate again of mix of veg and pellets then before I put them away at night I'll pay some extra grass and herbs in and they have all the hay still aswell I should take a picture that should help really lol xxx

Are you sure you are not feeding a Horse !! :shock:

On average mine probably get less than a quarter of that amount, except for hay which they have 24/7.

I dont feed cabbage, broccoli or carrots, just a small amount of dark greens or some fresh herbs, usually coriander. They only get that once a day.

Am I that bad :( they munch on hay all day I just like giving them little bit in morning and evening :) I'll reduce the plate down of food then :) xxx

Mine get their bunny food in the morning (a very small amount), with a fresh pile of hay put out.

Supper time they get some veg and I make sure they all have fresh hay. Bedtime they get a fenugreek crunchie to check everybun is eating, and hay topped up if needed. Only difference is my little ill bun, who gets some lunch of a few vitamin pellets and some rose petals and some profibre with supper. But he has problems keeping his weight up because of his illness.

Thanks :) what ill do is decrease the plate food and make it more leafy ;) they gobble it all up I do love my bunnies and take care of them I promise guess just sometimes i spoil them with extra food lol xxx

Mine gets one fenugreek crunchie in the morning (to shut him up when I'm still sleeping at 6am!), then half an egg cup of pellets when I get up and a pile of fresh hay. He gets half an egg cup of pellets at tea time then gets a handful of veg (lots of herbs, spring greens, romaine lettuce etc.) before I go to bed and a big new pile of hay :)
Occasionally on Friday he gets a little chunk of banana or apple as his Friday treat :)

That's quite alot! Thumper gets some fresh greens (spinach and rocket are his favourites) in the morning, hay is available 24/7 and i give him a handful of pellets in the evenings. He'll get a treat like a fenugreek crunchie at midday too.

my bunnies get the pellets on a morning which is a egg cup each they get fresh hay every day. Then on a night they get about 1 and a half handfuls of veg to share

I cant feed my 2 green veg at all as it upsets their tums and they get excess caecals..

I give them 2 fibafirst sticks each morning and night.
Loads of baled hay, 3 full storage boxes a day ..
Mixed handfuls of Alfalfa King Timothy Hay, readigrass and dandelion and marigold herbage mixed into their hay storage boxes,,,

The food day for Ludo really starts at night, he has 6 SS pellets broken into pieces and armfuls of fresh hay for overnight.
In the morning he then has 6 more SS pellets and I top up his hay with another load of fresh stuff.
During the day he has little handfuls of dried herbs (the Excel ones) put into his hay box just to keep him interested and also either 'posh treat hay' or readigrass by the bowl.
In the evening he has 3-4 items of fresh forage, usually dandelions, shepherd's purse or similar. Occasionally he also has one item of fresh veg with his forage, maybe a small piece of cabbage or spinach etc.
Once a week or so he gets a mouthful of my fresh fruit or a very small bit of a bought rabbit treat.

I'm always debating if I'm feeding my buns too much, but I feed them an egg cup of pellets in the morning, which they go mental for when I come down the stairs! Then unlimited fresh hay to munch on throughout the day then quarter of an egg cup of pellets in the evening with maybe a small amount of carrots tops etc, but don't know if I'm feeding to much. I have one 3 month old and one 11 month old so it's hard to know if I should feed them different amounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine have lots of grass in the morning and sometimes more during the day then at night they have a handful of pellets each (the belgian hares get two handfuls each) and more grass and some hay.

In the winter I give hay and leafy greens/herbs.

I am growing some herbs for them so will be able to give more of them in time. (Thyme)!

They also have brambles, dandelions, plantain, apple branches, goose grass and roses.

Just remember the more veggies a bunny eats the less hay it eats, and the less hay it eats the more prone they are to spurs. I know it's difficult and so tempting to give them loads of food as they always act starving but it's important to get their diet right :)

Mine get a small handful of Fibafirst between three twice a day plus unlimited hay which is topped up twice a day. Greens wise it depends on what's in season. Today I harvested a few carrots so they got the tops. Yesterday I cut down some artichoke leaves so they got that. The day before they had some bramble leaves. They get a variety but usually it's across the week rather than a variety each day. I find it easier that way. Then in winter they get a handful of dried greens about once or twice a week.

Oh dear, I think I may be guilty of feeding too much :oops:....
Mine get a tablespoon of excel pellets on a morning with a top up of hay, about an hour later they get a big pile of grass and a large handful of forage - usually dandelion, plantain, rose leaves, sticky weed and bramble leaves. Then at tea time another tablespoon of pellets and a smaller handful of forage and grass. Then often a little hawthorn or willow for supper. They do eat a fair amount of hay.
I'm thinking that grass is as good as hay for teeth, and that forage is generally good for them.
Would appreciate thoughts, thank you.

Oh dear, I think I may be guilty of feeding too much :oops:....
Mine get a tablespoon of excel pellets on a morning with a top up of hay, about an hour later they get a big pile of grass and a large handful of forage - usually dandelion, plantain, rose leaves, sticky weed and bramble leaves. Then at tea time another tablespoon of pellets and a smaller handful of forage and grass. Then often a little hawthorn or willow for supper. They do eat a fair amount of hay.
I'm thinking that grass is as good as hay for teeth, and that forage is generally good for them.
Would appreciate thoughts, thank you.

Sounds good to me (its pretty similar to what I feed). Grass and hay cant really be overdone. I would think veg and pellets are the things to watch.

I am still getting into a routine with mine - I have only had them two weeks.

But in the morning they get a fibafirst stick, I can't get past them to take the dogs for a walk otherwise! They get the run of the garden for at least an hour a day where they eat grass, dandelions, bramble leaves, smooth sow thistle and sticky willies. At night they get their pellets, I give them more than an egg cup each but they are young so would rather give them slightly more than slightly less. They also get another fibafirst stick. I occasionally give them spring greens and curly kale (they have had some cucumber and carrots once so far too) but I am trying to encourage hay eating so for now they are on limited vegetables. They have unlimited hay throughout the day, either timothy, meadow or ings. They don't seem keen on meadow though so that is used for beds. I am slowly introducing them to different hays.

Back