• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

High fibre plants

sunnibunny

Alpha Buck
Well i think im about to admit defeat on my bunny. She just plain refuses to eat hay or grass. No matter how much i decrease pellets, reduce other forage or a number of hay types available.
She likes all the things which she should have in moderation ie clover and dandelion, but hates blackberry leaves, twigs of apple or Hawthorne, which is known for its benefit to rabbit tummies. Thankfully she still eats plantain and mint.....but begrudgingly. Is there any other plants that have high fibre? there is nothing wrong with her teeth, i just have the most stubborn rabbit im sure!

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

She should be hungry for hay if she's only having an eggcupful of pellets a day and doesn't have any treaties.

I will send her one of my 'must eat more hay' letters!

I assume you don't give in to her 'I'm starving, please I need more pellets' face which they can be so good at.:lol:

Has she had a check at the vets to ensure there are no teeth or other health issues?

You have my sympathy although Hector will eat ALL of his forage. I think he likes to keep his staff busy picking leaves..... :lol:

I still have one bag of a hay experts selection pack to go. Bets as to whether he'll eat it?!? :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She has less than an egg cup full. She is a dwarf rabbit at 1.5kg.
I dont give in to the cute feed me look she gives me.....much. But I'm always worried she will go into stasis as she doesnt eat because she doesnt want to eat the hay or grass and just waits for proper food. She has been vet checked. Nothing unusual.

She has less than an egg cup full. She is a dwarf rabbit at 1.5kg.
I dont give in to the cute feed me look she gives me.....much. But I'm always worried she will go into stasis as she doesnt eat because she doesnt want to eat the hay or grass and just waits for proper food. She has been vet checked. Nothing unusual.

Ah - what do you mean by proper food? ;)

There was some with a stubborn bunny that got them started by hand feeding hay and dipping each piece in apple juice first. Once they were in the habit/used to the texture you can start cutting out the juice. Might be worth a try?

Ah - what do you mean by proper food? ;)

Proper food in her eyes!! Ie. Pellets, dandelion, clover, basically anything she is not supposed to have either in large quantities or at all!!! Sigh. Rabbits i tell ya!! Most stressing pet ever! Agh!

There was some with a stubborn bunny that got them started by hand feeding hay and dipping each piece in apple juice first. Once they were in the habit/used to the texture you can start cutting out the juice. Might be worth a try?

i did this with benson after his dental seemed to work :thumb:

It is a good question that the OP poses though - anything else that's really fibrous? I assume plantain is good (and very palatable by all accounts here!). Anything else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most plants/leafy vegetables are good for fibre, what's harder to replicate is the rough surface of grass/hay which is what you need for teeth wear.

I don't know how the digestible v. indigestible fibre ratio compares in plants/veggies other than grass. I don't know if it's something published as only a few animals can digest any type. That would be the other potential issue.

Most plants/leafy vegetables are good for fibre, what's harder to replicate is the rough surface of grass/hay which is what you need for teeth wear.

I don't know how the digestible v. indigestible fibre ratio compares in plants/veggies other than grass. I don't know if it's something published as only a few animals can digest any type. That would be the other potential issue.

Would be great to know for sure.

Back