• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The dry food controversy

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
I’m trying to write up material for a rabbit care website on pellets and muesli but I’m a bit out of date with my info, what’s the latest on the controversy?

Last I heard there was a big movement to get muesli out of shops but as far as I understood it was fine to feed a little as long as you watched out for selective feeding and it was good quality.

What should people look for in a dry food? I’ve said be aware of the nutrients and ingredients but other than the fact I know there should be a highish fibre content (not even sure how high) I’m stumped. I know there was one brand that used animal products in their pellets (was it Excel) but might be talking rubbish.

Basically I’m trying to create a “dry food for Dummies” but this is all I have so far:

There is some controversy over whether muesli should be used in place of pellets due to the risk of a rabbit indulging in selective feeding. This is when the rabbit picks out the choice pieces of food and leave the bits he/she doesn’t like. This can result in the diet lacking certain nutrients and health problems may occur as a result.

However, many people have rabbits that do not selectively feed and do well on muesli. There are no hard and fast rules for all and an individual rabbit’s diet right will likely require some tweaking at first.

Pellets
When looking for a quality rabbit pellet you should take note of the ingredients and nutrient content.
The most popular rabbit pellets available are produced by Burgess and Supreme. Their Excel and Science Select pellets come in different sized bags which can be purchased depending on your budget.

Back