• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eats as if she's never had food before!

Fluffs

Alpha Buck
Hi,

I haven't told you yet about Belle, a bunny we recently adopted to bond with Fluffy :D
The problem is, I'm wondering if i'm not feeding her enough because she eats her pellets/veg/herbs as if she's starving. She has unlimited hay but I get the feeling she's not eating as much as she should :roll:
She's quite young and is probably going to grow up to be about 3kg, so should I give her more pellets/veg/herbs than I give Fluffy?

Thank you :D x

How old is she? :) I used to give mine a fair amount of pellets til he was 6 months, then gradually cut him down to 1 eggcup full per day. He's 1 and a half now and gets 1 eggcup of pellets and a handful of veg per day and he eats it like he's never been fed :)
I think all rabbits go a bit mad for their pellets so it might just be that! :)
As for hay, if you increase the pellets she might start eating less hay so just be careful with that! :)

My bunnies had unlimited pellets till they were 6months old and now they get an egg cup full a day
Binkys fine with an egg cup full a day and unlimited hay aswell as herbs and vegetables
But Bella likes to act like she has never been fed before and loves her food so it could be normal

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Usually a bunny should fill up on hay, that might be her issue. I wouldn't increase the pellets/veggies as that will just encourage her to eat even less hay and that will be setting up the potential for problems down the line. Make sure she has time with just hay, and if you can try out some different varieties - maybe some readigrass. The other thing would be fresh grass - she might like that if she's a fan of fresh foods. If she does build up the amount slowly and it can replace the hay portion of her diet.

Thank you everyone :wave:
I'll try some different hays and keep the pellets as they are :D

EDIT: I'm not sure exactly how old she is, because I adopted her from the RSPCA. They just said she was younger than 1. x

Last edited:
If you can pop up a picture we might be able to guess the age roughly.

Anything over four months and I'd feed like an adult anyway.

I mixed in readigrass with Marbles hay when I first got her as she didn't eat much.

You could also mix her pellets in with her hay to encourage her

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back