• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

describe the smell of timothy hay

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
i stopped buying hay4pets timothy and rye as most of them didn't smell right to me at all.

now, i buy timothy hay from timothyhay.co.uk and this time the smell was fine when i opened it, but now i've brought the last bit down from the bedroom where we store extra, and it doesn't smell right to me.

i'm wondering if i just don't like the smell of timothy hays? :? but i have a strong sense of smell, so i smell if it's not as fresh really easily. :(

getting fed up of worrying about it and if i'm going to make them ill feeding it. so i end up throwing loads of hay, wasting my money, but i can't relax if it has that strange smell to it. i don't know how to describe it. :?

we also get meadow hays and ings hay and they always smell fine usually.

i've had to resort to buying less incase it gets that smell, but obviously this ends up costing us alot more. :roll:

so, describe the smell to me as best you can please :wave:

It's very hard to describe a smell! I had the timothy hay from hayforpets originally and I didn't like it, it had a kind of musty smell. The hay from timothyhay smells really nice to me, slightly sweet. Smells like Summer! :lol:

ETA: A bale lasts me a month and I just leave in the white bag and store in a cool cupboard. I've not noticed the smell change over time.

Last edited:
i wouldn't describe it as sweet. i just read some things online and alot said like strong tea. i can relate that to it, but it's not in a nice way. not to me anyway.

it has been very hot lately so it might have been too hot in the bedroom for it. :evil: that is the problem with buying more. we only have the bedroom to put it :roll: if we buy less then it can all be kept downstairs.

mind you, we have kept it in the bedroom previously and it didn't change smell. last time it had this smell i emailed them for a replacement because it just doesn't smell right to me.

drives me mad! :evil:

Smells are really hard to describe haha! But to me it smells sweet like summer grass and not necessarily too strong a cup of tea :? :lol: To me hay and Timothy hay in particular has always been one of my favourite smells, especially since I've got horses!

well o/h would use the word sweet to describe this, and i would say earthy with some parts strong tea. :shock: totally different opinions from smelling the same thing, so who knows! :lol:

Back