• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny jealous of baby?

cm85

Warren Scout
No, really! I need some help!
We have a beautiful little house bun called Pudding. He's nearly two and neutered. He is utterly wonderful and we adore him, there's an immense bond there with hubby and I. However, our first baby arrived nearly four weeks ago and frankly, Pudding doesn't seem keen!
We've tried to introduce them, Pudding has huffed and lunged a bit. He constantly tries to eat the Moses basket and won't stop when asked like he normally would. He sulks if we're paying attention to the baby - foot flicking, pointedly turning his back on us etc. And now he's started to do loads of poops on the sofa and has weed on it three times. Totally unlike him.
He seems totally healthy (though I'll get that checked at his next nail clip) and we've both been making sure we take time to fuss over him as we normally would. He free ranges all day as normal. Hubby did mention that Pudding was upset when I went into labour - he couldn't get to me and obviously I sounded a bit distressed. We're so close that he guard me when I nap and thumps if I cry, so it must have been worrying for him.
Has anyone been through this? It is exactly like having a jealous toddler and I just want to make him feel better. Help!

Awww. Bless him. :)

I think the moses basket it probably just too delicious to not chew, but the rest sounds like he is a little jealous or claiming his territory back from this new imposter! Rabbits are very sinsitive to our emotions, some more than others, so it's very likely he was distressed when you were in labour. It's very sweet and shows what a strong bond you have. But now you're sharing this bond with someone else who needs a lot of time and attention.

My honest opinion is you should think about adopting him a neutered female friend.

You probably can't give him what he needs or has come to expect in terms of companionship now you have a baby. Although I'm sure your care of him is top notch and he sounds like a thoroughly spoiled rabbit with an awesome life, I think he would benefit from a friend who can give him 100% of their attention. Obviously that might be hard with a newborn, but I'm wondering if a local rescue centre would bond him with a girlie and deliver you back two happy bunnies.

The other option would be to just give him some more time to adjust to the new arrival. It might take him a month or two.

Thanks guys. I suspected that might be the advice. I'm very hesitant to get another bun. Firstly because we both think that Pud is one of those rare bunnies that is genuinely happier flying solo (hence why we didn't get another when he was neutered) and secondly, I'm currently on maternity leave and will be working less when I do go back. We planned everything meticulously, taking into account Pud's monthly and yearly expenses, and he has a savings account for anything else. Financially, it's not a good time to add to our family!
Any more tips?
Obviously if we can't resolve things a second bun would be something we'd have to explore for his sake. But it's very much a last option, tied with putting the baby on Gumtree :p

some bunnies on here have a teddy friend. I don't know if your Pudding is a chewer but maybe you could try? x

You could try positive reinforcement when the baby is nearby. You want to do things that your bun likes- petting, cuddles, treats, etc. You want him to learn to associate good things happening whenever the baby is near. The baby doesn't need to be too close as you want to keep everything safe, just close enough so that he's aware of the baby being there and hopefully will link the positive things with the babies presence.

Last edited:
I don't have any advice but just wanted to say pudding sounds so so SO sweet! Ferg just eats my hair if I try and nap :lol:

We have been trying lots of praise and extra crunchies, but we'll step things up a bit.
Not sure on the toy. Pud's only a chewer when he REALLY wants to chew that particular thing, if that makes sense!
Some progress since I first posted I think. And yesterday when baby started to cry Pud did a little thump and ran over to him. Then seemed to catch himself and ran off when he saw me looking. It was very much 'Ohmahgod, are you ok?! Wait! I didn't want a little brother anyway. Pfft.' :lol:

Rabbits have feelings and can be jealous to other rabbits. They absolutely do. He gets jealous of the other bunnies that come running to say hello.Rabbits are very loving, social animals, which means they not only love to spend time with their humans they require it. Without human interaction, rabbits can get bored, even to the point of becoming lonely and depressed.

Back