• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there much chance of weaning off Oxbow?

midori1999

Alpha Buck
My new bunnies are used to having Oxbow Western Timothy Hay. I mainly use farm bales of hay but do add some of the Alfalfa Kings Timothy hay as a treat. Obviously the new bunnies have been having Oxbow mixed with the Alfalfa kings/farm hay, but they don't seem overly keen on the farm hay. Are they likely to get used to it or are they just posh bunnies now? :lol:

Maybe you could wean them off by mixing the hays, and decreasing the amount of the preferred hay until it's all farm stuff. Might be worth getting a farm bale from elsewhere in case they prefer that? Of course you'll need to make sure they are eating plenty of hay, don't want them to go off it....

Thanks. I'm a bit worried about decreasing in case they don't eat as much. They're on the, erm.... Unlean side, but not by that much and as the eyre also new I don't want to risk stasis. We do seem to get two different types of farm hay, so I might see if I can ask for one of the greener bales next time.

I feel a bit tight not wanting to spend out on the Oxbow as their main hay, but it's not cheap, it's mail order only and I like the farm bales as I can use loads of it without worrying about cost. I may wait a month or so and then try reducing the amount of. Oxbow/Alfalfa kings as they'll be on more grass the too. (Currently giving small amounts as they're not used to it)

Thank you!

I don't think you are being tight, I'm lucky as mine prefer the baled stuff. The stuff I get is slightly green and they prefer that. I think it's a good plan to wait a month and then take it from there:thumb:

Timothyhay.co.uk is cheaper than oxbow but still lovely and green. Then there's also hayforpets.co.uk Timothy and rye which is less again but generally not as green, I find. My buns like them all though :)

Thanks. I might try Timothy Hay and Hay for pets, but I'd prefer to avoid mail order if I can as I'm a last minute sort of girl and need something I can get in a rush if possible. I can get the Alfalfa Kings locally, but again, it's just the cost issue. I'll just need to get over it, but hopefully in time I can persuade them... :lol:

Back