• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much water is too much?

Springfield24

Alpha Buck
Sorry I know there's other threads on this but can't find an answer.

Since last weekend my two (both roughly a year old, male lop slightly bigger than my female mix) have been drinking more water. They get a bowl to drink from.

Normally I'd fill it at breakfast and then again around 5pm which would last till the following morning.

Now they're having at least 2 bowls through the day and one through the night (although not much was drank from last night's water) so roughly an extra rabbit bowl full each day.

They're both eating 100% normally and acting as usual. Both bright eyed and I can't feel any lumps or bumps.

I'm keeping a diary to monitor it and will visit vets at the weekend if no change but I wondered if this sounds odd to anyone? Any advice? !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Sorry I know there's other threads on this but can't find an answer.

Since last weekend my two (both roughly a year old, male lop slightly bigger than my female mix) have been drinking more water. They get a bowl to drink from.

Normally I'd fill it at breakfast and then again around 5pm which would last till the following morning.

Now they're having at least 2 bowls through the day and one through the night (although not much was drank from last night's water) so roughly an extra rabbit bowl full each day.

They're both eating 100% normally and acting as usual. Both bright eyed and I can't feel any lumps or bumps.

I'm keeping a diary to monitor it and will visit vets at the weekend if no change but I wondered if this sounds odd to anyone? Any advice? !

I'm pretty sure 'normal' water intake is about 50-150ml (per kilo?). Try measuring it and it might not be that much.. I know that happened with me!

Hmm it's less the amount I'm concerned about and more the increase but I see your point. I think they've eaten more hay and it is warmer...

I'm in two minds one saying I'm being fussy and one saying if there's a problem fix it quick. ..

Hmm it's less the amount I'm concerned about and more the increase but I see your point. I think they've eaten more hay and it is warmer...

I'm in two minds one saying I'm being fussy and one saying if there's a problem fix it quick. ..

If it's still within the normal range I'd be inclined to say it's the weather!
Mine also seem to drink more when they have had readigrass.

Is there any chance they might be chasing each other and knocking some out of the bowl?

Thanks both of you. I do check the floor for spills but it's dry. They've definitely started eating more hay come to think of it. I appreciate your replies

Are they indoor or outdoor buns? Mine have a bottle and are outside, but Penfold is so smart that although she drinks more than Dangermouse, she will wait for me/OH to come outside before running to the bottle and starting to pretend drink (she knows that we will squeeze the bottle to save her constant licking! Lazy rabbit :roll:) She does drink anyway without us squeezing it but as you know, rabbits own you, your property and your time :lol:

Mine are outdoor buns, they definitely drink lots more the more hay they eat, so could be that combined with the weather?

Yeah I'm hoping that's what it is zoobec but am also not wanting to brush it off in case it is more sinister especially as it seems to be my bigger bunny drinking more (which again would make sense)

Back