• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would this hutch be okay?

It's 5' 8" high, 2' 6" depth and 4' across. The ground level is 3'5" depth, this level is also tall enough for her to stand upright in and we have a hanging basket filled with hay hanging in there, parsley bell, wicker ball and filled kitchen roll centre thingys.

She needs a pal but taken a wee while for me to confirm ownership. I have 2 breaks booked in but I'll be back to normal routine for mid July and 'Find Hoppity a Pal' mission starts! It's also been a huge learning curve for me re' rabbits but we're getting there together and I'm lucky that Hoppity is a fantastic rabbit.

Although your hutch is multi level which is great and deeper than standard size too, normally rescues don't rehome to any hutch less than 6ft long. They generally follow the rwaf guideline of a hutch being minimum 6ftx2ftx2ft, and permanently attached run of 8ftx4ft. It might be worth contacting any of your local rescues with your hutch details and photos see what they say. Hoppity clearly has lots of interesting things to keep her busy :thumb:

Many thanks for that. She's going to Furry Friends Hotel for her 2nd boarding and Mike is going to give me a number for a rabbit foster home who'll come out to advise. My problem is my garden is small at the flat part at it's mainly steep hill so I'm limited with depth size meets safety from predators. Where she is just now is protected on 3 sides and we've made the front similar to Fort Knox. I know these things should be considered before taking on a rabbit but in comparison to what she was living in and with before I couldn't leave her. Fingers crossed some things can be improved on and I do look forward to some expert help from the fosterers. And from on here too of course! :D

Her run, which she has constant access to is 6' long but not 4' wide, sadly only about 2' and goes to 3' at the end.

Last edited:
Please don't buy one from the hutch company, they promise 48 hour delivery, but mine took 2 month, numerous phone calls and nothing but stress. There are people on here still waiting for their hutch or refund. I understand the hutch man who advertises on here does amazing hutches, at the correct size.

Thanks for letting me know. Guess I won't be going near them anytime soon then! Yeah I loved the pink one the hutch man made. Very pretty & perfect for a girlie girl like myself :)

Thanks for letting me know. Guess I won't be going near them anytime soon then! Yeah I loved the pink one the hutch man made. Very pretty & perfect for a girlie girl like myself :)

Yes, the pink one was awesome :love: your bunnies are going to love whichever one you decide on :love:

Many thanks for that. She's going to Furry Friends Hotel for her 2nd boarding and Mike is going to give me a number for a rabbit foster home who'll come out to advise. My problem is my garden is small at the flat part at it's mainly steep hill so I'm limited with depth size meets safety from predators. Where she is just now is protected on 3 sides and we've made the front similar to Fort Knox. I know these things should be considered before taking on a rabbit but in comparison to what she was living in and with before I couldn't leave her. Fingers crossed some things can be improved on and I do look forward to some expert help from the fosterers. And from on here too of course! :D

Her run, which she has constant access to is 6' long but not 4' wide, sadly only about 2' and goes to 3' at the end.

Someone is clearly handy at your house as I can see the customising you've done to improve on the hutch you have :thumb: you could start a thread asking for ideas about what you could do with the space you've got,if you put some photos up of the area around your hutch and the hutch too and include the measurements I'm sure people will be able to think of some ideas for you :D

Someone is clearly handy at your house as I can see the customising you've done to improve on the hutch you have :thumb: you could start a thread asking for ideas about what you could do with the space you've got,if you put some photos up of the area around your hutch and the hutch too and include the measurements I'm sure people will be able to think of some ideas for you :D

We were out tonight looking but if I moved the hutch out from under the shelter where it is now it would be open to all sorts of weather conditions. I live in the only village left in Glasgow and we're very high up so get heavy snow when other areas are having few flakes! It would also make her more vulnerable to the many foxes in the area whereas where she is now is heavily protected on 3 sides. There is a wee gap, few inches at the side but not enough to make much of a difference and I have a raspberry plant there that keeps Hoppity happy!! I did look at other hutches available but they're all so low (as hers was before we built the extra level at the base.) and she makes such use of all the levels, especially the top where she can see everything going on and where she sits and I think feels safe when the foxes are about. Hopefully the rehomers will offer helpful advice but I can't see how at the moment. As I said the flat area of the garden isn't big and we also have a smaller but very deep pond diagonally opposite the hutch, it's built up very high and we have planters round it so she could never even attempt to jump in but it does take up a fair bit of room.
Problems - problems!!:?

DSC05442_zpsec4dbeac.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This doesn't show it too well, in fact it makes the garden look quite roomy. If you look to the right of the picture you'll see my neighbours garden and you may get an idea of the steepness. We built into the hill face a few years ago to build the levels so we could grow things. That was a disaster as the soil is clay and slugs bloody love it so it seems!! You can see edge of pond and it goes right to edge so no room near it. The space around the whirly gig is not as big looking as it seems in the picture and would be awful exposed. This picture was taken quite a while ago, Hoppity's run now goes to the end and turns so it's L shaped and the short part of the L is bulbous. She doesn't use it that often as she really only comes out of the hutch proper when the whole hutch is open and she gets run of garden.

Hope that or at least a wee bit of it makes sense!!

Oh and forgot to mention, that's Molly the cat and although I tried to keep her away and not to let them near each other it didn't work. The lie near each other when both are out and Hoppity likes it when Molly lies on her back, paws in the air and she can use her as a 'jump' like a horse at trial. We put a cover on top of the run so Molly can lie on it and be near each other even when Hoppity is inside for the night.

Last edited:
DSC05442_zpsec4dbeac.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This doesn't show it too well, in fact it makes the garden look quite roomy. If you look to the right of the picture you'll see my neighbours garden and you may get an idea of the steepness. We built into the hill face a few years ago to build the levels so we could grow things. That was a disaster as the soil is clay and slugs bloody love it so it seems!! You can see edge of pond and it goes right to edge so no room near it. The space around the whirly gig is not as big looking as it seems in the picture and would be awful exposed. This picture was taken quite a while ago, Hoppity's run now goes to the end and turns so it's L shaped and the short part of the L is bulbous. She doesn't use it that often as she really only comes out of the hutch proper when the whole hutch is open and she gets run of garden.

Hope that or at least a wee bit of it makes sense!!

Oh and forgot to mention, that's Molly the cat and although I tried to keep her away and not to let them near each other it didn't work. The lie near each other when both are out and Hoppity likes it when Molly lies on her back, paws in the air and she can use her as a 'jump' like a horse at trial. We put a cover on top of the run so Molly can lie on it and be near each other even when Hoppity is inside for the night.

How about having a hutch that is turned 90 degrees so it's still under the shelter, or mostly under the shelter, then you can fit in a longer hutch, and have a run coming out the front of it? Or if you didn't want a run directly in front you could use a runaround tunnel to link them?
Love the story about Hoppity jumping Molly :lol::love:

We had a try of moving the hutch in a few different directions but right in front of her hutch if the stairs up to the garden and if we move it enough to make a difference it shuts off the top of the stairs. If we keep enough room then it doesn't make much difference to the few inches we've already got where the raspberry bush is. We had a look online then this afternoon paid a visit to a kennel/hutch maker in the east end of Glasgow but the hutches all looked smaller compared to hers. Plenty that were 6' across but the majority were just one level and built on legs to raise them a up rather than just make them 2 levels. He said his most popular was the type with bedroom to the right and small arch leading to living area and a ramp leading from there out. I understand Hoppity's hutch dimensions aren't appropriate length wise but after seeing the ones he had which were the advised size I think she'd lose out if we swapped. We did look at huts/sheds but again they were taller and deeper but not long enough, plus I thought they would be difficult to keep cool on the odd days we see sunshine!!
I'm hoping the foster people will be able to come out in July when I get back from next weeks break and advise but thanks for everything Zoobec and any other tips gratefully received. :D I will keep you updated.

there is a lovely guy out at Chesterfield Called Neil Martin he makes hutches to size and they are very good quality and hard wearing , he will make a hutch to what you want and need 07583 336865 :D

I'm so thankful I found this thread. I am also looking for a perfect hutch for my adopted rabbits since my friend's project was extended and it seems that I still need to take care of his rabbits. I love taking care of them.

Hi there, how did you both get on? Did you find the perfect hutch and is hoppity all signed off for a friend?

I LOVE the interesting garden with all the levels seen here! Ours has multi levels to work with too and I am going to try and extend lots of tunnels from welfare hutches around the garden to make an overland warren. Was wondering about a tunnel up the slope into a top box, then another running along a top level and another back down again etc.. :-D Good luck everyone

Back