• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poos after anaesthetic

JemimaH

Warren Veteran
Is it normal for a bun to do poos that are basically big, black splats (sorry!) after an anaesthetic?

Alf had a small dental yesterday and it wasn't a really heavy GA. He seems perfectly well in himself, eating and drinking fine, but he's just doing some strange poos (as well as normal ones) and has now got himself in a bit of a mess, so I'll have to clean him later when there is another pair of hands free :mrgreen:

Just looking for some reassurance that it's normal and that it will pass soon?

Ludo's poos weren't big black splats but they were certainly different to his normal ones. Are you sure these are normal poos and not soft cecals?

Either way if he's eating/drinking ok I'd keep an eye through the day as it sounds like it might be settling down. :wave:

Could it be an excess of his special poops? Or maybe just his usual ones that he would normally eat, but isn't for some reason?

Or did he have something to eat at the vet that was different from normal?

They could be really soft cecals, I guess. He had stopped eating them hence why I took him to the vets, which resulted in a dental, so it's possible it could be that :? it's just he sits in them and get himself in a mess which isnt ideal in this hot weather :roll:

AFAIK he didn't have anything different - just a whiff of gas and that's what he's always had I think.

He's not even three yet - that's still quite young for arthritis isn't it? He's also on daily metacam anyway.

Yeah that's young, although not impossible. The metacam should help with it though. I know metacam can upset their tummies. Was he bad before the metacam?

Yeah that's young, although not impossible. The metacam should help with it though. I know metacam can upset their tummies. Was he bad before the metacam?

To be honest, I can't remember! He's on it for his tooth roots and has been for the last year at least, probably eighteen months. I can't remember how he was before then, but I don't remember anything noticeable about him not eating them.

Just been out and trimmed the fur as well as trying to wipe him - it's all crusted on his back feet and the bottom of his tail bless him :( It's not around his actual 'bits', more the bottom of his tail and the long fur.

All my buns have had disgusting poo after anaesthetic :censored:

Black stinky splats that definitely weren't cecals

All my buns have had disgusting poo after anaesthetic :censored:

Black stinky splats that definitely weren't cecals

This :wave: it smells vile. I panicked the first time it happened. But it should be gone in a day or two :wave:

Back