• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New home and new rabbit. Bonding advice for my two buns

stacieevans

Young Bun
Hello, its been a while since I've been on here because my boy rocket was super good! Me and partner have just bought our own place. We didn't move rocket in until all the house work and noisy stuff had been finished. We decided to get a new girl bun from PAH, she is gorgeous and roughly 9 weeks old. We introduced them into a neutral environment together, him free to roam and her in her cage ( giving her her 48 hour settling in ). Rocket really wasnt too bothered by her and when I tried her next to him he sniffed her and grunted a little.. After a couple of days he's okay with her running around but as soon as she gets close he gets a little skittish which is fine because its been a couple of days. I guess my question is, is all this normal? Is there anything I should be doing to help them bond or stand in the background and keep an eye on them? Also, rocket used to be very good at going to the toilet in his tray, but since we moved he's been going just outside his cage or weeing on a towel that was on the floor.. Is this just because we've moved him from what he knew and is scenting? Will he go back to using his litter tray? Little bun ( who we think is going to be called binky because she's mad at binkying ) hasn't quite got the hang of pooing in her cage - I guess that comes with time? I just don't want rocket to follow in her footsteps - I can see a partner in crime happening.. Any suggestions will be greatly received :) BTW he's neutered and she hasn't yet been spayed..

Hi, maybe Rocket is territorial marking with it being a new house, and having a new rabbit around. She will likely get better with litter habits once she has been spayed. hormones can complicate things, and once hers start to kick in it could affect the bond. If you decide to bond them I would do it in a small neutral area, and unless they are fighting or there is aggression building up to a fight then I would keep them together once you have started the bonding. Here's a link to an excellent article on bonding :thumb: https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-rabbit-crossing/my-guide-to-how-i-bond-rabbits/463430373700695

no advice re: bonding, hut just wanted to say that Rocket is gorgeous! And i look forward to seeing pics of your new little lady! x

I have seperated them both. He seemed to be going backwards and getting quite frustrated with her. She has been moved into the hallway so Rocket still knows shes there but she isnt in his way - giving him time to settle into his new home. Shes still very young so until she gets bigger i wont try and introduce them.

Also, yesterday i noticed Rockets belly rumbling ( like from across the room).. i researched and found it could be gas or something serious! Hes still himself, still eating hay and licking me. Hes still Running around and his poos are getting harder rather than squishy. Where rocket was before (partners parents) he got fed loads.. peanuts and plenty of veg, but now weve moved he isnt getting as much, could that be the reason? Hunger? Should i ring the vet and find out? Really appreciate your help :)

I would keep them separate until she has been spayed, then attempt bonding about 6 weeks after that, once her hormones have subsided.

I wouldn't feed a rabbit peanuts, here is a thread about them http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?265903-Can-rabbits-eat-peanuts
I'm not sure about the tummy noises, does he eat loads of hay? If he's got unlimited hay available he shouldn't be hungry. You could ring the vets for advice.

Binky and Rocket are gorgeous :love:

Ahh, that explains why hes a bit of a chubba. Peanuts are his favourite - but will now only be a treat!
Is there a particular age at which Binks can be spayed? Shes roughly 8 weeks?
He has been eating a lot of hay but hardly any water - although hes never been a massive drinker. I read online that it could be due to stress, which would tie in with moving house with him! Just worried me a little!
Binky is so good! She loves everything i bought for Rocket that Rocket hated.. i tried her with the hoover today and she just chilled out in her tent not even bothered. . Very lucky mummy 💕

Can be spayed from 16 weeks providing they weigh over 1kg. A lot of vets prefer to wait until their 6 months though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back