• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this hogweed?

How big is it? The stalk looks very thick so it could be giant hogweed, which as I understand it, isn't safe to feed, unlike 'normal' hogweed. I have no idea how you tell whether little hogweed leaves belong to is a normal sized plant or a baby giant one!!

Thanks all! It was fairly big but I don't think big enough to be giant hogweed. Also I think giant hogweed causes blistering on the skin and my hands are fine so I don't think it is!

Saw this post and thought that there's loads of stuff that looks like that on the land near me so went out foraging.
Got a selection - they all have those white flower heads but the leaves are all different. So I'm too scared to feed it.

I'm such a city-boy :oops: No idea about wild plants.
It's such a shame as I'm sure I could provide a fantastic selection of forage if I knew what I was doing.
I've read many of the threads in this section of the forums and other sites but nothing ever seems to look quite right 'in the field'. Some of the plants on the 'do' and 'don't' lists look scarily similar to me.

Saw this post and thought that there's loads of stuff that looks like that on the land near me so went out foraging.
Got a selection - they all have those white flower heads but the leaves are all different. So I'm too scared to feed it.

I'm such a city-boy :oops: No idea about wild plants.
It's such a shame as I'm sure I could provide a fantastic selection of forage if I knew what I was doing.
I've read many of the threads in this section of the forums and other sites but nothing ever seems to look quite right 'in the field'. Some of the plants on the 'do' and 'don't' lists look scarily similar to me.

Don't risk it! There are lots of plants in this family that look very similar, and some are extremely toxic. Hogweed is the only one I'm comfortable picking as the leaves are very different. But I still didn't give it to the bunnies just in case!

I get braver with my foraging every year as I learn new plants but the first year I just picked brambles, nettles and Hawthorn as they are all easy and distinct.

An example of what I got that looks most similar to that at the top of this thread.

WP_20140607_001.jpg

Hogweed?

I don't think that's the same, the leaves look very different, but I'm not sure what it is exactly! There are several different plants with those funny white flower heads which look fairly similar, and some of them are delicious bunny treats and others are extremely toxic - it's definitely one of those areas where 'if there's any doubt, leave it out' - there's plenty of other easily identifiable things that are good to feed so it's just not worth risking IMO :D

An example of what I got that looks most similar to that at the top of this thread.

WP_20140607_001.jpg

Hogweed?

I'm fairly certain that's not hogweed. The leaves are completely different. It doesn't look like cows parsley or hemlock either which are the other two common ones so I'm not sure what it is. Don't feed it to your rabbits whatever you do!

Back