• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas for getting meds into a stubborn conti.....

SJH

Warren Veteran
Save for Metacam, a syringe to the mouth is a total failure!

I have resorted to banana but it defeats the object of tummy meds somewhat. I've tried a bit of celery which only leads to a mess...

Further, he's beginning to turn his nose up at it in preference to dried forage which, let's face it, he needs in terms of fibre.

It's important to note, I have to give 5 ml so a shreddie isn't going to do it!!

Help?!? Any ideas welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried Jenova's method? She posted a video the other week in rabbit chat... Worth a try! :wave:

I had to get meds 3 times a day into Nettle for a few weeks and I'm afraid a method similar to the one Jenova posted was the only thing that worked - eventually she kind of gave in and let me 'trap' her but it took a while. I did try almost all the tricks but even if they worked the first time they never worked again and then you're just wasting the meds aren't you.

Thanks both.

Jenova's video is great. :)

I've tried something similar both on the floor and on a table. I've also tried a burrito (well, a flat piece of bread with a bunny squirming out of it...). I'm going to have another try at it but the main issue with that is I'm not long enough to encompass Hector and I'm definitely not as strong as him!!

Funnily enough, he's very cool about injections. It's his mouth that is the issue. As you may recall, the vet can't even get a scope in....

I'll report back....

:lol: good luck! It's a nightmare isn't it?! :shock:

Thanks both.

Jenova's video is great. :)

I've tried something similar both on the floor and on a table. I've also tried a burrito (well, a flat piece of bread with a bunny squirming out of it...). I'm going to have another try at it but the main issue with that is I'm not long enough to encompass Hector and I'm definitely not as strong as him!!

Funnily enough, he's very cool about injections. It's his mouth that is the issue. As you may recall, the vet can't even get a scope in....

I'll report back....

I know it's absolutely a lot harder than it sounds, but you have to kind of grab him while kneeling and put him between your knees and sit your bottom down so he can't move backwards. It definitely helps if another person can then do the syringing but I have done it on my own.
I've never been successful with a bunny burrito with any of my buns and all the videos I've seen show someone 'placing' the bun on the towel and they just stay there while they wrap them up! I've never had any of those kind of buns!
Also (and I know you know this but someone might read who doesn't) aim the syringe at the side of the mouth where there's a gap in the teeth and it will slide in. Supersonic speed is useful too.

It's actually not the keeping him still, it's the keeping his head still - you would honestly think he's related to a tortoise.... Sadly, it's a one-person job here for much of the time.

Ok, new technique...

With only me, pinning him down and stringing from over his head failed. It might work with two of us but, for now:

1 tiny slice of banana
A handful of pellets
The meds

Meds onto pellets and mixed. Tiny bit of banana for super extra flavour.

Very tasty treat....

It works for now anyhow with a much reduced portion of banana.

I'll keep trying other variants including the "grab and hold"!!

Honestly, whilst this rabbit is asleep you can stroke and cuddle him; tickle his ears; brush him including his tail; virtually smother him by lying almost on top of him BUT touch his back feet or his mouth with so much as a feather and he's off. Ridiculous creature!!:love:

I use weetabix as it soaks up a lot of the medicine and you can crumble it up however much you need.

I'm lucky now as Doughnut loves her medicine and takes it from the syringe. I was shown the burrito for when she is poorly and I have to get food into her but she doesn't stay still so have yet to try it on my own. They do look cute in it though.

Mine was a nightmare for worming after day 1 and bunny burritos NEVER work for me, he's too shiny and smooth so gets out of the towel too easily!

I take Ferg into a different room than he's used to if I want to do anything like meds/nail clipping cos he's scared and better behaved then which works quite well for me :) but I'm guessing if the vet can't get stuff in his mouth that won't work! :)

My other option is a small chunk of apple with a hole poked into it (screwdriver) and meds squirted into the hole! Don't like him giving that much fruit but definitely worked for worming! :)

Hoppity's medacam treated my staircase, the wall, bars of cage, me, inside of buster collar and some towels. I eventually squirted some onto her pellets and some on lettuce leaves. If on my 1st check up I'd seen the vet who said "Just wrap her in a towel, hold her tight towards you and put the syringe into her mouth and squeeze" I think I may now be in jail.

Hoppity's medacam treated my staircase, the wall, bars of cage, me, inside of buster collar and some towels. I eventually squirted some onto her pellets and some on lettuce leaves. If on my 1st check up I'd seen the vet who said "Just wrap her in a towel, hold her tight towards you and put the syringe into her mouth and squeeze" I think I may now be in jail.

:lol:

My new method worked again this morning but only once I'd turned my back.....:roll:

Back