• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spenser has stopped using his basin (litter)

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Spenser has gradually taken to doing his business either on the towels or fleeces on his crate rather than in his basin. Now he seems not to be using the basin at all! Previously (and even before he was neutered) he has been very good in this respect, only erring from toileting in the basin if he really wanted to make appoint about something.

Love my boy to bits, but he really has become full of defiant naughtiness. He is also very greedy and expects food every time someone goes into his room (unless he is sleeping or sulking).

What kind of litter tray does Spencer have?

I would be inclined to get him checked at the vets and maybe get bloods done to see how his kidney/renal functioningi is. Those symptoms could just be behaviour but could also be something else going on. Does he have arthritis?

He has a Wilkinson's washing up basin for his litter. He used to love it! I am pretty sure he doesn't have arthritis as he can jump far higher than the height of his basin. I have tried bribing him into the basin with treats, but he just eats them up then does his business on the towel or fleece.

I am thinking of moving the position of his basin, or even buying him a new one!

How about removing the fleece and towel and replacing the washing up bowl with a shallower litter tray to see if this helps? A washing up bowl is quite deep for a litter tray.

Kerbie would poo literally everywhere. I changed the 32L storage box to an old hamster cage base but he wouldn't really use that either. He has a potting tray now (£8) and it's just a small hop in and now I'm only finding a few poos outside the tray.

He doesn't have arthritis or anything like that, I think it's just the ease of it now and he prefers to toilet as it's a really good size so he has more choice of areas in the tray to have a pee/poop pile :)

Kerbie and Leo are the same with expecting food. It's a bit annoying really! But after a bit of ignoring Kerbie will settle down, Leo doesn't but he's deaf and just charges about and acting like a brat really!

Our Poppet does this if she feels we need to clean up in the bunny room .:shock: Their room gets hoovered every day, but the base (under human-size bed) only gets mopped once a week. If we miss, she'll pee on the floor. :roll:

I agree about getting him vet checked to rule out any UTI type problems but it could just be a case of I am royalty and shouldn't have to move myself to the toilet or I prefer to stay on the fleece. What about trying a second litter box on or next to his fleece. Julie also expects treats every time anyone walks by. He might be trying to tell you give me my treat or you shall pay.

Thanks for all replies. Tonight I tried moving his basin to the place he has taken to doing his wee, and he promptly did a wee where the basin used to sit.

I will look into storage boxes.

I observe him a lot as we share the same room, and it looks to me as if he is still very much choosing to go somewhere to lift his tail. He isn't just weeing wherever he happens to be (thank goodness!).

Thanks for all replies. Tonight I tried moving his basin to the place he has taken to doing his wee, and he promptly did a wee where the basin used to sit.

Sorry, but this made me laugh :lol: sounds like the Lord is keeping his slave on her toes ;)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

So, I bought Spenser a large cat litter tray, in case he was finding it difficult to jump in his basin. Woke up next morning to find Spenser on top of a tower of storage boxes which he must have accessed by jumping approx. 2 feet onto my bed. He refuses to use his tray, although he will go into it if I put treats there.

Methinks he is going through a phase of defiant naughtiness.

Good luck Susie :thumb:

I've not yet worked out how to stop Ludo from always getting his own way so I have no advice :oops:

Breaking news in the Kingdom of Spenser.....

... he lordship has 'performed' in his tray! :thumb:

I will look into storage boxes.

I observe him a lot as we share the same room, and it looks to me as if he is still very much choosing to go somewhere to lift his tail. He isn't just weeing wherever he happens to be (thank goodness!).

Slipper does this too. But only with me. When he goes to bunny camp, he's a perfect little angel & "the cleanest rabbit" they've ever had :roll:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back