• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to feed underweight bun?

jazxo

Mama Doe
My little Luna came into rescue at 3/4 weeks old obviously not been cared for well before hand. He came to me when he was about 7 weeks old, skin and bones and I used to feed him extra pellets away from his bonded partner. He's now in a trio and still underweight (not majorly but still needs a little help bulking up) and we're still in the bonding progress so I want them all to feed together. I could however sneak something in to him after.

He's also got a sensitive stomach so it'd need to be something that wouldn't be too harsh.

I'm thinking oats but what kind and how much? Any other suggestions?

Oh and his current diet is:
Unlimited timothy hay which he eats very well
Eggcup full of SS pellets per day + 2 Fibafirst sticks
Brambles and hawthorn, variation of shop bought herbs once/twice a week.

When I had an underweight bun I fed him extra fibafirst cos my theory was that he was getting hay at the same time so he wouldn't fill up and go off his hay. Otherwise maybe some alfalfa hay or readigrass?

One of the Ilford two was very underweight, I simply fed plenty of forage alongside the normal SS and hay and he put on weight gradually but very well. I find that mixed forage is very sensitive on tummies and is fine to give in large quantities as it is a more natural fibre than commercial veg. I have previously also fed a few porridge oats soaked in water, these are good for weight gain but are also very high in carb so care needs to be taken and I don't think I'd risk it on a bun with a sensitive tum.

You could get a small bag of SS junior a feed those as treats. The junior are slightly higher calorie for growing bunnies so help weight gain in adults. Or just slip him extra of the standard pellets.

Is he definately under? Most bunnies maintain/gain healthy weight on a normal diet. Sometimes if you are used to something chunky like a lop it can make other breeds look a bit thinner than they actually are.

You could get a small bag of SS junior a feed those as treats. The junior are slightly higher calorie for growing bunnies so help weight gain in adults. Or just slip him extra of the standard pellets.

Is he definately under? Most bunnies maintain/gain healthy weight on a normal diet. Sometimes if you are used to something chunky like a lop it can make other breeds look a bit thinner than they actually are.

He is definitely under, yeah. Not majorly as I said but comparing him to my other dwarf lop he's a bit too boney! I don't think it's a major problem and he's made massive progress since he's been with me.

I might just give him a few extra pellets a day or the junior ones as you said. Thank you :)

One of the Ilford two was very underweight, I simply fed plenty of forage alongside the normal SS and hay and he put on weight gradually but very well. I find that mixed forage is very sensitive on tummies and is fine to give in large quantities as it is a more natural fibre than commercial veg. I have previously also fed a few porridge oats soaked in water, these are good for weight gain but are also very high in carb so care needs to be taken and I don't think I'd risk it on a bun with a sensitive tum.

Yeah I'm giving piles of brambles a day while I can at the moment :) love forage!

As I've said I don't think it's a major concern but he's noticeably boney

Back