• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The search for the illusive golden poop

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
When we came back from our holiday a week ago we found that despite specific instructions Molly had been fed too many pellets and not enough hay meaning her poops were small and hard. Since then I have been struggling to get her poops back to their usual golden selves.

I have reduced the pellets to 1 small handful in the morning. She has been having fresh forage or herbs for her tea. Normally she eats her meadow hay with gusto but not keen on it lately so she has been having western Timothy hay which she just loves and has eaten loads of.

The thing is despite all this I am yet to find any golden poops. They are a much better size, soft and crumbly but still dark. Is it just a time thing and I haven't given it long enough or is there more I could do?

My 8 year old son Jacob has made himself chief Molly poop checker after he saw me doing it and wanted to learn! :lol:

Has she been out on the grass more than previously? Eating lots of grass rather than hay can make poops crumbly but darker than hay poops. Or it might just be that her gut is taking a while to right itself.

I find that when bunnies eat greener hay they produce darker poos Becky. You know the kind of hay I feed - much paler in colour than some baled and bagged hays you can get and that's certainly one reason that the poos are golden, but as soon as I give the bunnies something with more betacarotine in them some of their poos will darken. I'd not worry too much if they are crumbly.

Is the meadow and timothy you are feeding quite green? If so then maybe that's it?

But I agree that too much complimentary food will change the poos too. Well done Jacob for being head poo picker.

I find that when bunnies eat greener hay they produce darker poos Becky. You know the kind of hay I feed - much paler in colour than some baled and bagged hays you can get and that's certainly one reason that the poos are golden, but as soon as I give the bunnies something with more betacarotine in them some of their poos will darken. I'd not worry too much if they are crumbly.

Is the meadow and timothy you are feeding quite green? If so then maybe that's it?

But I agree that too much complimentary food will change the poos too. Well done Jacob for being head poo picker.

The Timothy hay is a pale green colour and she has been eating lots of it so I think you are probably right. I will stop worrying :lol:

Back