• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How would you help a rabbit who's struggling...? UD doing really well! & lab results

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
How would you help a rabbit who's struggling...? UD doing really well! & lab results

Grim is in a really bad way again. :?

When the storms and crazy weather hit he went downhill really badly with his snuffles/respiratory infection. I spoke to the vets and got him some decongestant which seemed to work, until today. He's really, really bad again and I don't think there's anything else I can do. :? He's been in the nebuliser once today for 40 mins with the saline and decongestant. I'm going to put him in again either with plain saline or F10...

He's on norocillin injections, metranidazole and metacam orally.

He really stinks of the infection today as well and his eyes are running really badly too. (I have eye drops as well). I don't even know if there's anything else to try. I think there's a load of infection inside his nose which he needs to get out. We're off to the vets on Saturday which was supposed to just be a check up, but now looks like it'll be a serious discussion. :?

One very disturbing video of his breathing. :(

I think the insides of his airways are too delicate to be flushed, but that might be an option. Bisolvon again (bad experience last time), but I don't think it'll be any better than the decongestant he's got.

Last edited:
That is just heartbreaking :(

Based on just that video I know exactly what I would do to help him :( xx

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk

That is just heartbreaking :(

Based on just that video I know exactly what I would do to help him :( xx

I'm sorry to say I agree with Liz, and I think I'd do it as soon as I possibly could :(

Poor, poor Grim. It's so hard to see them so poorly, isn't it?

sending hugs - this can't be nice for you.

Oh I'm so sorry to see this :cry:

Unfortunately it looks like he is getting very little time to sleep and relax. I suppose it depends on if you and the vet look on this as a temporary episode, to try and get over and stabilise him, or the downward pathway.

I'm so sorry Jenova :love:

Poor little mite. You are obviously doing everything you can in his best interests but I agree with the other ladies that a vet consult is needed sooner than Saturday. Thinking of you x

I have to agree :cry: I would get him to a Vet tonight :cry:

I would do it tonight too :(

When you look after special needs/ sick bunnies it is sometimes hard to remember what a healthy rabbit can actually do. Its easy to forget they should be running around, binkying, happy head shakes. Running through tunnels, digging holes, munching hay and flopping with friends :)

Despite having lots of special rabbits here this is something we try hard to stay focused on. We constantly re evaluate their quality of life and make sure they have some aspects of the above in their life or at least have a good chance of getting some of it back in the near future.

Not everyone will agree but we try to make a decision sooner rather than later so that all they know are happy and content times. Not final weeks of struggle. To be completely honest I doubt we would have let it get to the stage in the video. But like I say that is our personal belief.

You have worked so hard looking after Grim and it can become very difficult to let go. But try to step back and look at what he really has in his life now and compare it to how he used to be when he was young and healthy xxx

Heartbreaking. Before I saw the other comments I thought its no life for poor Grim. I know how much you love him and how much you have done for him, it must break your heart seeing him like this. sending zillions of vibes and a great big hug to you. Xxc

I'm so sorry, that video is just heartbreaking. It actually upset me quite a lot watching it. I think you should do what is best for Grim, if that was Levi or Daisy I know what I'd do. :(

I agree :( If you do decide to keep trying you could get him a nebuliser, but he sounds too blocked up for that. I'm sorry.

Thank you all for your comments.

He's still very excited about food etc, but his infection comes on in waves. So it's very bad now, and was this bad just over a week ago, but it peaks with the bad weather and then recedes. Yesterday he didn't even have any snot stuck to his nose, which is usually a daily occurance. He's had a munch on some food and now I've popped him back in the nebuliser with some F10. I'll see how he is later tonight.

It is very hard to sort of see how bad he is, because he's been like that for so long and because it's getting worse so very gradually. So it's good to have some input from others. I'm aware though, that you're all seeing just a snippet. He was on his fleece on the couch and he likes to sit next to me like that for company and cuddles. So if he looks lethargic it's because he was in snuggle mode. I'm working from home and he's been sat next to me. He isn't as lively as he usually is because of his nose, but at the moment I don't think it's a tonight decision. I'll see how his breathing is when he comes out of the nebuliser. If it's not getting any better then of course we'll be off to the vets tonight.

I'm hoping to see a little bit of an improvement. :(

I don't want Grim to have to go just because his nose was blocked up. We're keeping this infection under control although we aren't beating it, and if he can shift whatever's up there he should be okay. He just has to shift it. :(

Thank you all for your comments.

He's still very excited about food etc, but his infection comes on in waves. So it's very bad now, and was this bad just over a week ago, but it peaks with the bad weather and then recedes. Yesterday he didn't even have any snot stuck to his nose, which is usually a daily occurance. He's had a munch on some food and now I've popped him back in the nebuliser with some F10. I'll see how he is later tonight.

It is very hard to sort of see how bad he is, because he's been like that for so long and because it's getting worse so very gradually. So it's good to have some input from others. I'm aware though, that you're all seeing just a snippet. He was on his fleece on the couch and he likes to sit next to me like that for company and cuddles. So if he looks lethargic it's because he was in snuggle mode. I'm working from home and he's been sat next to me. He isn't as lively as he usually is because of his nose, but at the moment I don't think it's a tonight decision. I'll see how his breathing is when he comes out of the nebuliser. If it's not getting any better then of course we'll be off to the vets tonight.

I'm hoping to see a little bit of an improvement. :(

I don't want Grim to have to go just because his nose was blocked up. We're keeping this infection under control although we aren't beating it, and if he can shift whatever's up there he should be okay. He just has to shift it. :(

You are the only one who really knows what the situation is with Grim, you see how he is 24 hours a day and you know what his mood is like, that is something a video can't show. I really hope he picks up soon, I can't even imagine how hard it is to make that decision about a pet you love so much. *hugs*

Oh poor love :cry: I'm sorry I don't think I can comment on what I would do as I don't have enough experience of those situations, but I wish you and grim lots of luck and strength to deal with what must be a heartbreaking situation.

I always try and focus on quality of life with my animals. When the bad days outweigh the good, it's time to let them go. Better a week too early than a day too late.

But you know your boy and only you can make that decision. I would be talking to the vet ASAP though, not waiting til Saturday.

But I want to send you lots of hugs because it's so hard when they are poorly

Aw...poor Grim. And I know this must be agonizing for you, Jenova. :(

I have read what everyone else has said and from their point of view I understand. But if Grim is not like this all the time and something different can be done without stressing him further that improves him enough that he can enjoy life then I can also understand wanting to try that first. That being said he is mouth breathing and that worries me :( I agree he should be seen sooner than later.

It has to be your decision and I will support you. I wouldn't want his nose to defeat him either...he is such a wonderful boy and you've both fought so hard. I'll be keeping you both in my prayers.
Sending you massive hugs and hoping for a miracle for dear, dear Grim. Please give him a snuggle and a kiss from me. xxxxxxxxxx

You know him best and can decide what's best for him.

Alongside the treatment/meds is there something you can do to support his immune system - echinacea?

Back