• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bond gone after being spayed

saz&flo

New Kit
Hi all hope you can help. i adopted a 10 month house rabbit as her owner couldn't look after her. when i 1st got her she was very cuddly and loved to be picked up. loved settling down with me on the sofa in the evenings for cuddles. i decided to get her spayed after about 3 weeks of having her for the health reasons. That was 2 weeks ago. Now it seems like the bond we had before she had her op has disappeared, she won't let me pick her up no more, and will no longer jump on sofa with me now for cuddles, if she does jump on me all she wants to do is dig at my clothes and nibble at me!!! How can i get the cute cuddly bunny back??

Hello :wave:. It's possible that she's still feeling a little sore after her operation so see if it settles down in a week or two. It's also possible that her behaviour may have changed whether you'd had her spayed or not. At 10 months, she's reached maturity and is no longer a fluffy baby. It's rare to get a bunny who loves to be picked up so I'd spend some time sat on the floor with her, perhaps with a towel over your lap for her to dig at (which is, by the way, absolutely normal bunny behaviour). In time, she may choose to sit calmly on your lap, especially if you feed her treats at the same time.

But don't be too disheartened and just try to enjoy her company and funny bunny antics :D.

Yes, I'd give it a bit longer - particularly for jumping on/off the sofa. Try sitting on the floor and hand feeding her dinner - that might help with renewing your bond :)

Back