• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yellow cabbage leaves

Snowy's Mum

Young Bun
This is a very basic question and I really should know :oops:, but are the inner, yellow leaves of cabbage/spring greens ok for rabbits? And cabbages that are naturally more yellow/light green in colour? I know the dark green are better for them, but is there actually a problem with the lighter coloured leaves? Oh, and also the thick stalks of cabbage and broccoli? I tend to avoid them because I think they might upset their stomachs, but I don't actually know where I've got that from :oops:

I'm not sure about the cabbage as I don't feed it to mine. But I do give mine broccoli stalk. Cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli can cause gassy problems in some bunnies I've read. I don't give mine too much just in case, they just have some scraps as I love broccoli.

This is a very basic question and I really should know :oops:, but are the inner, yellow leaves of cabbage/spring greens ok for rabbits? And cabbages that are naturally more yellow/light green in colour? I know the dark green are better for them, but is there actually a problem with the lighter coloured leaves? Oh, and also the thick stalks of cabbage and broccoli? I tend to avoid them because I think they might upset their stomachs, but I don't actually know where I've got that from :oops:

I'm not sure on any 'official' answer but I feed the inner, lighter leaves of cabbage, when it gets to the 'tight' bit in the middle I tend to just chop it into shreds. I've read that broccoli stalks are good for their teeth so I've started saving them for the bunnies when I cook broccoli! I cut the big main stalk into discs but that's just me cos I think they look more appealing that way :lol:

I'm not sure about the cabbage as I don't feed it to mine. But I do give mine broccoli stalk. Cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli can cause gassy problems in some bunnies I've read. I don't give mine too much just in case, they just have some scraps as I love broccoli.

I think it does vary from rabbit to rabbit and their individual sensitivities - mine are fine with the dark cabbage leaves and broccoli florets. I'll try them with wee bits of stalk and see how they go. Thank you :thumb:

I'm not sure on any 'official' answer but I feed the inner, lighter leaves of cabbage, when it gets to the 'tight' bit in the middle I tend to just chop it into shreds. I've read that broccoli stalks are good for their teeth so I've started saving them for the bunnies when I cook broccoli! I cut the big main stalk into discs but that's just me cos I think they look more appealing that way :lol:

Ok, thanks, I'll give them a go :thumb: Broccoli discs - I was thinking broccoli batons would be good :lol:

There's no problem feeding all bits of cabbage and broccoli, including the stalks :wave:
I always leave the stalks on greens so bunnies can have a good chew on them ..

Yes, they are fine, they are just pale where the light has been restricted to the centre. As opposed to leaves on the outside that have gone from normal green to yellow where they are old/dying.

Yes, they are fine, they are just pale where the light has been restricted to the centre. As opposed to leaves on the outside that have gone from normal green to yellow where they are old/dying.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks, Tamsin :thumb:

Back