• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits copy cat their bonded bunny??

pilley

New Kit
I'm considering getting my house bunny a friend from a local rescue as they have lots of neutered females. He's very well trained and only toilets in the corner of his pen, he has full access to a large bunny friendly room and never messes on the floor or chews anything he shouldn't. I'm worried if I bring in a second bun they won't be as well-behaved as him and he might learn bad habits.

It's likely that the litter training of both bunnies might be a bit hit and miss for a couple of weeks during/post introduction. That's because they are settling in together and scent is important to them during that period. The vast majority of bunnies are house trainable though, and long term you're unlikely to have issues with a pair of neutered bunnies. If you're worried look for a rescue bunny that's already using a tray or if they don't have trays uses a particular corner.

That can learn habits from each other but only when there is a benefit to them eg a bunny can learn to copy another that knows where the treats are kept or that likes nose rubs.

I got bonded sisters from the RSPCA who are house bunnies. They were being looked after by a foster lady and she was able to tell me that they were very tidy in their cage and always used one corner. When I bought them home they pooed all over the living room immediately and I thought what have I done! But they settled down after a day really and just litter trained themselves because they are very tidy like the lady said. We only had one wee incident and that was on the lino in the kitchen. The lady also told me they weren't big chewers too so that was another plus and they have mostly left the furniture alone.

If you get a girl from a rescue they should be able to tell you quite a bit about her in terms of whether she is tidy and whether she is a big chewer. I expect you'll get lots of poo marking their territory if you do the bonding but they should settle back down again after awhile.

ETA: Millie and Maddie don't really copy each other. Maddie is braver than Millie although Millie is more mischievous! They do copy if one starts eating hay then the other feels they are missing out and has to eat too! :lol: They get lots of hay that way so it's good!

Last edited:
Back