• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cornflower? I.D needed on other plant.

Well, Shadowfax is really good with knowing what plants are safe, probably because she was living wild and surviving on forage alone, but she will eat these. This is what prompted me to have a look into what they were. If they are safe, then I can add these into their forage diet. :thumb:

Oh, I also have another plant which is growing all over my garden. It looks like parsley, but I don't think it is.

Can anybody help? If it isn't good for the buns, I'll remove it all.

I buy dried coneflower in the pet shop for Rosie. Would I be right in thinking it is also known as echinacea ( which supports the immune system )?

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

The second one looks like camomile, which I believe is on the 'safe' list.

I don't think the first one is cornflower, not the wild variety at least, could be another variety of it and safe but it's not the plant I know as cornflower - the heads/petals aren't compact enough.

Last edited:
The second one looks like camomile, which I believe is on the 'safe' list.

I don't think the first one is cornflower, not the wild variety at least, could be another variety of it and safe but it's not the plant I know as cornflower - the heads/petals aren't compact enough.

I have these 'domestic' cornflowers - don't know what wild ones look like.

the first one is a domesticated variety of centaurea nigra (knapweed) - I do not know what variety - it is a common popular garden plant. It is not cornflower (Centaurea cyanus)

the second one is feverfew -Tanacetum parthenium

I buy dried coneflower in the pet shop for Rosie. Would I be right in thinking it is also known as echinacea ( which supports the immune system )?

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Coneflower (latin name Echinacea) is a totally different plant to cornflower (or knapweed) which are both Centaurea.:wave:

the first one is a domesticated variety of centaurea nigra (knapweed) - I do not know what variety - it is a common popular garden plant. It is not cornflower (Centaurea cyanus)

the second one is feverfew -Tanacetum parthenium

Thank you. Are these both safe? My buns have been eating the first one with no problems because I thought it was a variety of cornflower. :shock: If it isn't safe, I will not let hem eat it.

The feverfew is growing everywhere and it would be nice if it was edible to bunnies. My Mam isn't happy with me picking her flowers for them so if I can use this "weed" then it'll save my Mam's plants. :lol:

Thank you. Are these both safe? My buns have been eating the first one with no problems because I thought it was a variety of cornflower. :shock: If it isn't safe, I will not let hem eat it.

The feverfew is growing everywhere and it would be nice if it was edible to bunnies. My Mam isn't happy with me picking her flowers for them so if I can use this "weed" then it'll save my Mam's plants. :lol:

This suggests feverfew isn't safe but somewhere else i read it was part of the chrysanthemum family, which are ??I think?? usually safe so more baffled then I was before.

http://www.bunnyhugga.com/a-to-z/feeding/poisonous-plants.html

I'll avoid it just to be on the safe side lol. It really is difficult to get an accurate safe list of plants sometimes. :? I suppose we can only go by what the wildies eat regularly.

Back