• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mounting - When to Intervene?

Romy

Young Bun
Hi started first bonding session last night and went ok until male mounted female.

She was not happy and after they circled he attacked her and despite me lifting her up he continued to hang on to her!

I read fur flying is expected but not sure if this was too agressive. My question is how long do you let them mount for dominance before the other gets angry about it?

The breeder I adopted the male from said she's never heard of a buck and doe mounting each other. I thought it was normal!

Thanks

Hi started first bonding session last night and went ok until male mounted female.

She was not happy and after they circled he attacked her and despite me lifting her up he continued to hang on to her!

I read fur flying is expected but not sure if this was too agressive. My question is how long do you let them mount for dominance before the other gets angry about it?

The breeder I adopted the male from said she's never heard of a buck and doe mounting each other. I thought it was normal!

Thanks

When were they neutered?

I'm afraid what the breeder said doesn't endear me to breeders.

When were they neutered?

I'm afraid what the breeder said doesn't endear me to breeders.

He was neutered 4 weeks ago. Should I wait until 6 weeks?

The breeder had him for 2 years but said he wasnt interested in breeding and she didnt have enough time so put him up for adoption.

Now nervous they will never bond but understand it can take time

He was neutered 4 weeks ago. Should I wait until 6 weeks?

The breeder had him for 2 years but said he wasnt interested in breeding and she didnt have enough time so put him up for adoption.

Now nervous they will never bond but understand it can take time

Yes, his hormones won't die down until for at least 6 weeks.
When was your doe spayed?

2 years ago so her hormones should be fine

I had to laugh at that - expected something like '3 weeks ago'.;)

I would separate them and not attempt to bond for another 3-4 weeks, otherwise you risk spoiling any chance of bonding. Then start again in a completely neutral area.

I had to laugh at that - expected something like '3 weeks ago'.;)

I would separate them and not attempt to bond for another 3-4 weeks, otherwise you risk spoiling any chance of bonding. Then start again in a completely neutral area.

Thanks for your advice I'll do that

Positive Signs?

Hi I've been trying to re-bond them for almost 2 weeks now.

The female is mounting the male and nips him every time he refuses to groom her. There have been some positive signs such as grooming themselves in front of each other, and the female lying down legs stretched out.

The problem seems to be the male Magic won't give in to her demands and only groomed her when I put banana on her head. She constantly thumps at him to show she's not happy that he won't give in.

Does anyone know roughly how long it can take for him to accept she's the boss or have any advice?

Thanks

Are you bonding in 'dates' or are they together all the time? I'd keep smearing banana/apple purée or similar on her forehead for a while longer!

Are you bonding in 'dates' or are they together all the time? I'd keep smearing banana/apple purée or similar on her forehead for a while longer!

It was dates but have put her cage next to his again last night in their own room.

Will try with the banana again as was the only thing that worked yesterday. Thanks!

It can take weeks or years for rabbits to become proper friends, but as long as they aren't fighting the signs are good and keep going with it.

Regarding humping you should intervene if they are both fighting each other. If one of them tries to hump the other and they get a nip back and then they split apart or one runs away, leave them to work it out. But if they both start biting each other without splitting apart then you should intervene.

It can take weeks or years for rabbits to become proper friends, but as long as they aren't fighting the signs are good and keep going with it.

Regarding humping you should intervene if they are both fighting each other. If one of them tries to hump the other and they get a nip back and then they split apart or one runs away, leave them to work it out. But if they both start biting each other without splitting apart then you should intervene.

Thanks I will do. That's exactly what happens she will nip him and he will run away, he doesn't bite back.

She had a good groom off him last night as I put banana on her head but as soon as he stops she thumps in protest. Such a diva! Poor bunny boy

Back