• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

9 Yr old Bonded Bunnys both eating little hay.

toria

Warren Scout
Hello,
I haven't been on here to write in such a long time which I apologise for. The last time was when I was unemployed and since then I have moved twice and had 2 different jobs, one of which was in 2 different places!

Anyhow, I have just read a couple of other very similar posts to what I am intending to write - however they didn't state the age of the bunnys, which is why I am going to continue to write this despite the similarities.

I have 2 bonded rabbits - Toby, a Lionhead and Willow, a MiniLop. They were 9 two weeks ago. I have noticed recently their hay consumption is very little indeed which I was and still am worried about. I took them to the vets (a new vet as I have moved) to be checked over. I knew Toby's teeth were possibly a problem as he has had dentals in the past and the last being a year ago.
Willow is fine, everything OK.
Toby had lost a little weight and had spurs on his molars. So they stayed at the vets and Toby had his teeth sorted. I stayed on the floor in my spare room that night getting up to make sure Toby was drinking and eating something and he got over that OK.

Problem is, they both are still the same and just not eating anywhere near enough hay.
They normally eat Excel Forage Herbage and Alfalfa King Timothy Hay, Readigrass and Woodlands Apple and Carrot Timothy Hay.
They do eat it but it's more picking at it. I come home from work/get up in the morning and they have only touched the top. I put the Alfalfa King Timothy Hay into a wooden toy and they like pulling that apart but are not as keen these days.
I feed them very little grain (Excel) at night but have started to give them half of this in the morning so I know they are eating something, not just 24 hours apart.
I got them some of that Woodlands Dandelion stuff in an orange bag from Pets at Home and mixing that with some chopped hay in their bowl which seems to get eaten.
I am worried Toby will lose more weight and I really think they should both be eating more than they are. They did eat more than this. It is the both of them not one or the other.

I have read some ideas on the similar posts regarding mixing in readigrass (although they already have this) and spraying apple juice on the hay (How do I do this? and what juice does anyone recommend?)
If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

They are otherwise OK although very lazy and would rather sit on their vet bed then venture out.
Thanks in advance, I just wish I could get them excited about their food again.

Victoria...

They may both have a bit of age related osteoarthritis. Not only would this account for their apparent lethargy, but also their lack of appetite. Has arthritic pain/discomfort been considered ?

I have some elderly Rabbits who now have a non steroidal anti-inflammatory (Metacam) every day as they have age related arthritis which was making them sore and thus lacking appetite.

Back