• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what part of diet to increase?

Neve

Warren Scout
i have been advised by the vet to increase phoebes calorie intake as she is starting to get a bit thin in her old age! just a quick question what would be best to increase veg forage pellets or all of them?

I think that depends on what, and how much, you currently feed, and whether you can increase her partner's food intake too.

If she usually has a good amount of the others, I'd usually say pellets, but that would depend on whether the pellets are high in fibre or not. If they aren't, it may be better for her tummy to increase other higher-fibre things like forage.

Also, it may be worth increasing the amount of fresh grass, readigrass and oat hay in her diet - they have a little more nutrients in than normal meadow/timothy hay.

I would be inclined to introduce fibafirst, that way you won't be losing out on hay eating behaviour by increasing pellets :) I'm not sure though that's just what I'd do!

they are currently on 100g of excel pellet a day.. i am in the process of decreasing the amount and then this happens :roll: will look into fibafirst and increase the grass in take does it matter that it is spring grass? what about fruit.. the currently don't get any should i try giving them some?
Benson (her husbun) currently has dental problems.. to be sorted so is gradually losing weight himself anyway. plus the fact their space is about to be increased massively!! ahhhh soo confusing!!!

Back