• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weeds

Peridot

Young Bun
Hi All

A short question which hopefully someone can answer. I have checked through the Archives but not found specific mention as to whether the leaves of the following plants are safe for rabbits to eat and if so whether they should only be given in moderation?

1. Garlic Mustard
2. Red and White Deadnettle
3. Rape Seed

Thanks

Peridot :)

Hi All

A short question which hopefully someone can answer. I have checked through the Archives but not found specific mention as to whether the leaves of the following plants are safe for rabbits to eat and if so whether they should only be given in moderation?

1. Garlic Mustard
2. Red and White Deadnettle
3. Rape Seed

Thanks

They can certainly eat dead nettle.
My gut instinct is to avoid the other two.

Last edited:
Hi Babsie

Thanks for that information which runs along the lines I was thinking. Now all I have to do is to learn to tell between the Dead and Stinging Nettles, which isn't easy and resulted in stings to my hand last night as I tried to tell which ones are growing near me lol...

Regards

I believe stinging nettles are ok to so no problem.

I understand that anything from the onion family is a no no so if garlic mustard is then I'd say no.

I'm sure I read that rape seed is not bunny safe.
Nettles are ok, stinging ones too, but they are always the last things my buns eat, I think they prefer them dried to fresh.
Not sure about garlic mustard, but as dusty rabbit says, if it's from the onion or garlic family then it probably isn't bunny safe.

Thank you for the information Dustyrabbit and Karen's. I think I am going to play safe and delete Rape Seed and Garlic Mustard from my list...

Regards

Back